Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: My Hexapod walks!  (Read 4025 times)
Milano, Italy
Faraday Member
Sideralis Arduino!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

There is the possibility that I am the one that is not understanding smiley
Looks like userful to have the possibility to reverse the direction and to trim the position of the servos, so I was wondering why this is not implemented by default...

Federico - Sideralis
Arduino &C: http://www.sideralis.org
Foto: http://blackman.amicofigo.com

London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile

The modifications make the code more complicated, and as originally suggested, it doubles the RAM used for each servo.
The servo direction can be reversed without adding code to the library by using the map function in a sketch ( or something like servo.write( 180-pos)
Trim can be changed using the optional parameters that set min and max values to attach.

Vinceherman's modification to change trim is more convenient for him in his application but it may seem odd to some people to have a trim function that results in a command to send a 1500us pulse actually produce a pulse that is not 1500us.

A nice thing about having source code available is that it enables people to customize things to suit their needs. But making code bigger and more complicated by adding features that most people won't use is usually not a good thing to do.

That said, I am all for vinceherman posting his modifcations in a thread for people that want these features.

Milano, Italy
Faraday Member
Sideralis Arduino!
View Profile

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now!

Federico - Sideralis
Arduino &C: http://www.sideralis.org
Foto: http://blackman.amicofigo.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I am trying to do one of this too. The objective is to stuty IA. I am thinking to use one arduino to control six servos.
But I am worry to burn the arduino by using 6 standard servo at once.

Could some one give me advice about it?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

But I am worry to burn the arduino by using 6 standard servo at once.

You won't burn out the Arduino using six servos at once provided you give the servos their own independent power source (like a battery pack). Only if you try to pull the current needed completely from the Arduino can you possibly burn something out (which can happen with a -single- servo, depending on the servo's current requirements and load).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Ohio
Arduino Hexapod
View Profile

Could some one give me advice about it?

Like cr0sh said, use a separate power source for the servos.

Tie the ground to the board ground and to all the servo grounds.
Tie the hot to all the servo hots.
The data pins go to each servo signal.

This will work for any power source in the proper voltage range.

I used a Bigger Lithium Polymer battery and a voltage regulator to get proper voltage for my servos.  But it is pretty much the same as using 4 AA batteries.

Here is a thread with more info about how I did it.
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1265626147/6#6

In the first picture, you can see the orange and green wires.  They carry the signal from the 18 pins to the servo plugs.  Power comes from the 2 wires running off the shield.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:28:30 pm by vinceherman » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

But it is pretty much the same as using 4 AA batteries.

Something else to keep in mind: If you use rechargeable batteries (NiCd, NiMh, LiPo, etc), each cell is usually 1.2 volts, so four AA cells in series will give you 4.8 volts.

Servos are generally designed to run on something like 4 to 6 volts, with their torque, of course, maxing out at 6 volts (don't run them on anything higher, though - you'll burn the driver circuitry and/or motors out).

Standard alkaline AA batteries are rated at 1.5 volts each; so 4 in series will give you 6 volts. If you want to use rechargeables, you will need to use 5 cells in series to get 6 volts, not 4 as with alkalines.

It may not seem like much, but that extra 1.2 volts equals a lot of torque gained or lost.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a 5 cell AA battery holder...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:36:47 pm by keeper63@cox.net » Logged

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Ohio
Arduino Hexapod
View Profile

And with my voltage regulator, I just turn the screw until I get the desired voltage.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you guys. It was a helpfull explanation

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: