Poll
Question: How do most people prefer their pin layouts on breakout boards
Single row of 10 pins - 4 (36.4%)
Double rows of 5 pins - 7 (63.6%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Pin layout preferences on breakout boards  (Read 836 times)
Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I was just reading the specs over on one of Bosch's newer accelerometers (BMA250) and I wanted to make a breakout board to sell because it has a lot of cool features that I think people would like.  I started working on the board and came across the same issue I usually come across when making a breakout board...which way to layout the pins.

The board will have 10 pins that need to be broken out.  So I was wondering how do most people prefer their boards?  Is the preference 10 pins all in a single line or do people prefer 5 pins on one side of the board and 5 on the other? Both ways being breadboardable (is that a word) and they would have screw holes for mounting. 

Again I'm just curious what most people prefer. (I couldn't resist using the poll feature)

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Double rows might be better. You can just plug it in a breadboard or a target board and the mechanical stability is good enough even without mounting holes. I'd always prefer having mounting holes. SPE is too cheap to do mounting holes on some of its products smiley

Digital Power Engineer
View Profile

I prefer DIP-style pinout for small boards. For large boards, I like right angle pins on one edge so it can plug vertically into a breadboard.

"Optiboot: the Tiffany Yep of Arduino bootloaders."

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

DIP style, it as mechanical advantages and reduces the vibrations that can be induced to the PCB, so it can lower the noise floor.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Both.

smiley-grin

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

For now I think I'm going to stick with DIP style then.

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

For now I think I'm going to stick with DIP style then.

Dip is good for me. Oh, in case the 10 pins involve 5V gnd analog x, y, z, you can consider putting them all on one side. This way if someone wants, he/she can just plug it in the 6 arduino analog pin and power it with 2 analog pins (set as output and HIGH and LOW respectively) while reading the axes with 3 other analog pins. That's what I do with two of my accelerometers on a temporary basis.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: