Go Down

Topic: Scorpions: ever been stung? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Graynomad

I don't know what a sac spider is but given that you're in SA I'm guessing it's pretty nasty.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

GregN

It's pretty tiny and looks pretty harmless compared to most, but it has cheiracanthium fuculatum venom which can cause necrosis.

focalist

Dec 14, 2011, 11:48 pm Last Edit: Dec 14, 2011, 11:53 pm by focalist Reason: 1
Rob- you really get some awesome shots!  What hardware are you using?  I'm a Canon fan mostly..

I got nailed by a Brown Recluse years back, when I was in my twenties.  Ended up causing tissue necrosis, a sore about the size of a quarter on my leg that was gross as heck and took forever to heal.  Doc was even telling me to watch for things like blood infection.. they don't actually have to have deadly venom to kill.  As I understand, many reptile bites can be fatal, but it's from infection rather than actual venom..

Nature photography is what got me out in the world, I took it up at the same time I took up kayaking (flat water only!).  Most of the time I am happy chasing around blue herons, eagles, and such- but a couple of times a year I do saltwater in Boston or Hingham harbor.  We were out near the harbor islands a few years back when we came upon a pack of seals heading for shore like mad.. then noticed the PARTIAL seal floating next to us in the water.  Had not been there long.  Closest runin I've had with potentially deadly animal-- but considering I was in a 10 foot single-wall kayak, a Great White (the only thing that munches on the seals like that) would make very quick work of me if it desired.. never saw the actual shark, which in some ways was the scariest part of it....

Also, from when I was travelling around the southwest, I remember that most scorpions fluoresce under UV light.  Get a portable blacklight (UV LED flashlght would be great for it I bet) and you can see them in the dark... mean little buggers.
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Graynomad

Dec 15, 2011, 07:27 am Last Edit: Dec 15, 2011, 07:31 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
Thanks focalist.

For a full description of what I use have a look at my gear page

http://www.robgray.com/grayoutdoors/about/about_equipment/digital/index.php

But in a nutshell,

Body for landscapes - 1Ds Mk2
Body for fast movers - 1D Mk2
Lens etc for small things - 100macro, MT24 macro flash, 420EX flash (wireless)
Lens etc for things you can't get close to, things you don't want to get close to - 400 F4 DO, 1.4x, 580EX flash, Better beamer flash extender OR 70-200/2.8 with 2x and same flash.

Nature photography is what got me out in the world,

Yes it's good for that, I sometimes regret getting back into electronics because that is purely an indoor sport. I do occasionally get out, did a 5-day hike through the Karijini NP earlier this year, but that's no substitute for getting out every day.

I used to do a lot of kayaking, inland waters though, you can keep the ocean for reasons you just illustrated.

And since you mentioned eagles and herons I thought I'd use that as an excuse to show two more pics

Wedge-tailed eagle. Around 2-meter wingspan.

A rare morph of the blue heron. This one had the experts stumped for ages.

Closest runin I've had with potentially deadly animal

You can have that, I got caught well away from my car by a lion once, that roar is something you have to experience to believe, thank goodness it's the females that do most of the hunting :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up