Go Down

Topic: Making a Digikey order; Any suggestions? (Read 2503 times) previous topic - next topic

Osgeld

yea proto boards is mainly what I use, I dont have a laser printer, but have 2 of them at work, my deal is with etching is the chemicals

Get different sizes of board, It kinda stinks when you have a tiny project but a large sheet of board, and maybe its just me but I cant ever cut them where it looks good, even with my xacto saw
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

TchnclFl

Indeed.  I also just had the brainstorm that I'll need sockets for my 'mega644s!  :o

Of course, Radio-crap doesn't provide enough information about their 40 pin socket, so I can't tell if it's the .6" wide I need for the 644s (but it doesn't look like it).  Luckily, Digikey has them for 42 cents each :).

KenH

Futurlec has the IRFZ44 for 50 cents each.
http://www.futurlec.com/cgi-bin/search/search.cgi (you'll have to put hte IRFZ44 in) - it is listed as only 49 amps, but shipping is only $4 for an order < $28 to USA.

On the PCB - that is not a problem etching neat boards.  I enjoy that - chemicals are easy, just HCl and H202 does a nice job of etching.

Hey, this is fun - making an order and spending someone's money ;D

Ken H>

Osgeld

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

KenH

You're right on the shipping time - that's why Futurlec is ONLY for spare parts bin - not for projects you want "now".

AND you do have to check prices on Futurlec pretty close - sometimes DigiKey will match them...... only some things.

Ken H.

Osgeld

yea I deleted that and hoped no one noticed, Its fine but should be pointed out

cr0sh

If you want a laser printer, one of the best places to get one is from Goodwill; seriously, I have an HP LaserJet 5MP out in my shop (has extra RAM and the PostScript driver cart) that I bought for $15.00 at Goodwill - nothing wrong with it and it came with toner and paper!

If you can, pick up one of these; check its page count (25,000 and under are babies) - HP LaserJet 5 & 6 are workhorses - they aren't fast, but they will last nearly forever. Print the PCB layout on glossy magazine paper (don't bother with the special paper they sell) - there are plenty of other tricks on doing this cheaply; just google it.

Well worth it if you have the need and space for a laser printer (toner carts are only approx $70.00 each, too - they should last for a few years of moderate printing; my wife and I just recently swapped ours out for a new one after the original ran for about 7 years - much better and cheaper than an inkjet!).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Ran Talbott

that's why Futurlec is ONLY for spare parts bin

Well,  yeah:  if they were fast,  they'd be called something like "Presentlec".

think of it as "truth in advertising"...

KenH

@Osgeld: no reason do delete the post, the LONG delivery time did need to be pointed out - takes a LONG time to paddle half way round the world :D

@Ran: now I understand the name, you get your order "sometime" in the future.

Our goodwill here didn't have anything much but old inkjets. Like you, I like my laser (HP P1006) I got for <$80 shipped. I've used mag paper and it does work pretty good - but I like HP Presentation color laser paper better. I did breakdown and order 10 sheets of the Pulsar for $20 shipped - BOY does that stuff work!  It just floats off the copper - seriously, it takes 5 seconds to turn loose and float off.  $2/sheet is too much, but I cut the paper the size of the PCB, and use the same piece of paper several times.  I expect the 10 sheets to last a couple of yrs - I only make 3 or 4 PCB per month.

Ken H>

TchnclFl

I have a question about toner: does anything bad happen if you don't use it often? I can't imagine I would print more than a couple of PCBs a month, but I have no idea what the reprocussions are for not using it often..

KenH

The toner is just powered plastic beads of very small diameter. "IF" by chance you do have a problem, just remove toner cartridge and shake it real good.  That should take care of the problem. Takes maybe 15 seconds to remove cartridge....  well, that long if it's been a while and you don't remember for sure how to do it :)

I use the laser for 99% of my printing needs now rather than the inkjet.  The inkjet (color) is default on wife's computer with laser (B&W) default on my computer in radio room.  Laser toner is a good bit less expensive than inkjet.

Ken H.

TchnclFl

Alright that's what I thought, but thanks for clarifying.

I may have to drop by Goodwill some time and see if they've got any :).

TchnclFl

Well, I placed the order :).  Hopefully I got everything I needed :D!

Osgeld

Feb 22, 2010, 05:18 am Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 05:22 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
flux capacitor!

ArduinoM

Flux capacitor: 1.21 gigawatts of electricity needed + 88 mph
So it will be one mighty electricity bill ;D

David

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy