Go Down

Topic: Serproxy and Mega 2560 (Read 624 times) previous topic - next topic

telarium

I can't seem to get serproxy and my Mega 2560 communicating under OSX 10.7.2. I am using the newer, non PowerPC version of serproxy, and I believe it is configured correctly. Here's a snippet from my cfg file:

comm_baud=115200
comm_databits=8
comm_stopbits=1
comm_parity=none
serial_device1=/dev/tty.usbmodem3a21
comm_ports=1
net_port1=5331


This baud rate does match the sketch loaded onto my Arduino. If I open the serial monitor, I can manually type in strings and see results. I'm currently trying to get Flash to communicate, and while it does successfully connect, it can't send or receive data. I'm not using Firmata, but the AS2 sketch example that is pretty basic.

Running serproxy results in the "Waiting for clients" message. If I telnet localhost 5331, I get this message:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.


I have also tried loading Firmata (although I know it's not quite 2560 compatible) and ran a standalone firmata_test application. That works just fine, and like I said, I can use the serial monitor in the Arduino application to send strings and get results. Just not with serproxy.

Any ideas? I see a lot of people complaining about the Mega 2560 board, so am I out of luck here? I would use another board if I could, but I need more digital i/o pins than the other boards.

PaulS

Quote
Any ideas? I see a lot of people complaining about the Mega 2560 board, so am I out of luck here? I would use another board if I could, but I need more digital i/o pins than the other boards.

What good do all the other I/O pins do, if you can't access them?

telarium

So I tried this setup on a Windows machine, and that does seem to work. So it's a problem in my OSX configuration I suppose, even though the serial_device is set correctly and the baud rate matches.

I did notice this tidbit on the Arduino page:

"The Mega2560 differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the ATmega16U2 (ATmega8U2 in the revision 1 and revision 2 boards) programmed as a USB-to-serial converter."

I had already installed the FTDI USB driver, so I'm wondering if that could somehow be causing an issue. I have no idea, though. To be honest, I'm not very familiar with that driver or how I might uninstall it on OSX.

Go Up