Go Down

Topic: Compare progmem string (Read 2728 times) previous topic - next topic

pfonseka

thanks, I will do as you say.

I'm starting to make a menu, could you tell me if this make any sense.
I will use "parent_id" to relate sub-menus with menus and "action" to choose what function to call

#include <avr/pgmspace.h>
prog_char txt_0[] PROGMEM = "Menu 1";     prog_char parent_id_0[] PROGMEM = "0";  prog_char action_0[] PROGMEM = "ActionMenu1";
prog_char txt_1[] PROGMEM = "Menu 2";     prog_char parent_id_1[] PROGMEM = "0";  prog_char action_1[] PROGMEM = "";
prog_char txt_2[] PROGMEM = "Menu 2.1";  prog_char parent_id_2[] PROGMEM = "1";  prog_char action_2[] PROGMEM = "ActionMenu2.1";
prog_char txt_3[] PROGMEM = "Menu 2.2";  prog_char parent_id_3[] PROGMEM = "1";  prog_char action_3[] PROGMEM = "ActionMenu2.2";
prog_char txt_4[] PROGMEM = "Go Back";    prog_char parent_id_4[] PROGMEM = "1";  prog_char action_4[] PROGMEM = "Back";
prog_char txt_5[] PROGMEM = "Menu 3";     prog_char parent_id_5[] PROGMEM = "0";  prog_char action_5[] PROGMEM = "ActionMenu3";

PROGMEM const char *txt_table[] ={ txt_0, txt_1, txt_2, txt_3, txt_4, txt_5 };
PROGMEM const char *parent_id_table[] ={ parent_id_0, parent_id_1, parent_id_2, parent_id_3, parent_id_4, parent_id_5 };
PROGMEM const char *actions_table[] ={ action_0, action_1, action_2, action_3, action_4, action_5 };

AWOL

You could probably save yourself some typing by defining a "struct" for those items, assuming they are all associated.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

pfonseka

You could probably save yourself some typing by defining a "struct" for those items, assuming they are all associated.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by defining a "struct" ?

AWOL

A "struct" is a useful way of grouping related items of different types:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struct_%28C_programming_language%29
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

pfonseka

Can I use a struct with PROGMEM ?
The only benefict will be save me some typing?

Can you give me an example of a struct for my menu, or is it too much to ask?

Thank you for all.

AWOL

No, the other benefits include potentially easier debugging and simpler function definitions.

I don't know the structure of your menu, but yes, you can put "struct"s into flash memory.
If you look at the Playground, you should find some examples, I think.

pfonseka

I will do the search...

Each ítem on my menu have only 4 vars

ID and Position on the menu: I use is position on the array
txt: the text displayed
action: if is empty I list all the elements on the array that have parent_id equal to actual menu id, if as something I will call the function with that name
parent_id: contains the id of is father. with this var I can have a multi-level menu. I first list all the elements that parent_id=0 then I list all the elements that the parent_id= Id of the selected menu, and so on ...

prog_char txt_0[] PROGMEM = "Menu 1";         prog_char parent_id_0[] PROGMEM = "0";      prog_char action_0[] PROGMEM = "";
   prog_char txt_1[] PROGMEM = "Menu 1.1";        prog_char parent_id_1[] PROGMEM = "1";    prog_char action_1[] PROGMEM = "Action1.1";
   prog_char txt_2[] PROGMEM = "Menu 1.2";        prog_char parent_id_2[] PROGMEM = "1";    prog_char action_2[] PROGMEM = "";
      prog_char txt_3[] PROGMEM = "Menu 1.2.1";     prog_char parent_id_3[] PROGMEM = "2";     prog_char action_3[] PROGMEM = "Action1.2.1";
      prog_char txt_4[] PROGMEM = "Go Back";         prog_char parent_id_4[] PROGMEM = "2";      prog_char action_4[] PROGMEM = "Back";
   prog_char txt_5[] PROGMEM = "Menu 1.3";        prog_char parent_id_5[] PROGMEM = "1";    prog_char action_5[] PROGMEM = "Action1.3";
   prog_char txt_6[] PROGMEM = "Go Back";         prog_char parent_id_6[] PROGMEM = "1";     prog_char action_6[] PROGMEM = "Back";
prog_char txt_7[] PROGMEM = "Menu 2";         prog_char parent_id_7[] PROGMEM = "0";      prog_char action_7[] PROGMEM = "Action2";

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy