Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for black 4 conductor wire and connectors  (Read 844 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Have you guys seen black 4 conductor wire, around 18-20 awg?  I've seen plenty of gray and blue wire.  

Also I would be looking for waterproof connectorsthat are fairly small  to go with that.  Any ideas?

MD, USA
God Member
A jack of all trades and a master of none!
View Profile

So your looking for typical phone wire. Why does it have to be black? You could always spray paint it. You could also be more specific about the type of connectors you need. There are literally a million different type of connectors out there.

Here are a few option with 4 conductor 20 awg wire with black jacket.
http://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Multi-Conductor-Cable/_/N-5ggn?P=1z0xg1gZ1z0vt0jZ1z0vsuh
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:33:51 pm by digimike » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

What's the ultimate application? You say you need "waterproof" connectors, but to what depth (if any)? Is this for an outdoor installation of some sort, or is it for an underwater application?

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I am wiring something to my motorcycle.  If the jacket is already black then I don't have to worry about painting or dieing the wire with something that can take the weather abuse.

As for the connector I am trying to find something that is rugged and weather proof but not huge.  The typical automotive 4 pin connector is too big (partly because it is designed for larger gauge wire).

I've looked through mouser for connectors.  I think they only have two choices for 4 pin connectors that are waterproof.  However, I am not sure if they can handle the gauge of wire.

The thing with mouser is understanding where to look and what you are looking at.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/641/1447.pdf
I think A/B will work.  But do I have to purchase 4 contacts per plug?  

Arduino rocks
View Profile

cr0sh, see above.  Also I can seal a plug with silicon if I have to.  I am just trying to find something appropriate.

I will be wiring some extra equipment to my motorcycle.  The wire and quite possibly the connectors will be exposed to the element - but not under water.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

"the elements" suck...  VERY invasive.

You can get pre-made cat5/etc ethernet cables in a wide variety of colors (and often cheaper than you could buy bare wire of similar length), but that's usually 8 conductors of 24 to 22g wire.  I don't know if it would work if you doubled up the conductors...

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

The Molex connectors used for ATX power supplies are available in a 4-pin version.  They're finer pitch than hard drive power connectors and waterproof trailer connectors,  and dual-row,  so they're significantly smaller.

If you're not dis- and re-connecting frequently,  you'd probably find it sufficient to use those,  and seal 'em up with electrical tape.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: