Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using Duemilanove to burn boot loader on breadboard....  (Read 481 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello,

I'm new to arduinos and am trying to burn the boot loader onto a breadboard (atmega328) as defined in the tutorial...

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

and using the Duemilanove, as defined in the tutorial....

I keep getting the error:

"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15"

and have tried everything I can think of to make it work, including:

1) making sure I'm using the right "ftdi" drivers,
2) resetting it myself manually
3) disabling reset as suggested in a troubleshooting guide I found (disabling with 110ohm resistor tied from vcc to reset pin), although I think it was discussing downloading to a arduino...
4) trying another atmega328...
5) making sure my breadboard is setup correctly...
6) the thing I notice when setting up a scope is, never see the reset pulled low....I thought that was supposed to happen first.  I'm not sure if that's an issue or not....I haven't tried with logic analyzer to see if it's going low or not.  Maybe the scope isn't catching it, cuz it's too fast.

6) I have NOT tried using the absolute minimal configuration (i.e. no clock signal)....

7) BTW, my setup is a macpro os X lion.  I've also tried it with leopard with the same issues, haven't tried windows yet.

I'm out of ideas, any suggestions, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

Get better tools (i.e. a real avr programmer) and less headache.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

View Profile

>>>Get better tools (i.e. a real avr programmer) and less headache.

I wish I would've thought of that, if that's the case then the arduino folks need to get rid of that tutorial, that would cause a lot less headache if it's simply doesn't work, or they should caveat it with, "this may work, but maybe it won't!"...

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

If you scan the forum, you will see there are a lot of posts regarding nonworking bootloaders / replacing them and so on. There are just quite a lot of things that can go wrong. And using a setup/hardware that was never meant to do that job, in combination with a lot of different hardware revisions of arduino boards (including related oddities) doesn't make it more reliable.

Personally I just don't see the point, as I can get a dedicated ISP programmer for under 20$.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

$12 or $13 even...
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=415
http://store.nkcelectronics.com/pocket-avr-programmer.html

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

sorry had other things to do.....just getting back, alright guys, I'm going to take your advice and get one of the programmers.....however I'm wondering if this is a mac vs windows issue...so while I'm waiting for the programmer, I'll install windows (I have to do that anyways for other reasons) on my mac and see if that may be the problem.....I'm concerned that even if I get the programmer(s), that I run into the same issue.  I looked at one of the programmers and although it says tested with mac, the instructions are only for windows...we'll see..

have you tried it with os x?

Thanks again

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I haven't done anythig with mac's

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: