Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40   Go Down
Author Topic: ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE  (Read 57007 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How do you need to operate the LiPos?
4 cells individually? 1 large pack of 4 in series?
How much current is drawn when active?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

I would like to use 4 cells, I need it to run 9 feet of LED strip, I think its about 2A, and also power the micro at 5v 5.5 max

View Profile

Yeah that is what steered me away at first

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I would look into a charge control chip such as this
http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/4534

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

This would be very nice to integrate into my chip! smiley-grin Thanks

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Into your chip, or onto your board? smiley-wink

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »
Charge chip turned itself off about 15 minutes ago, so that part of the circuit seems to work okay.
Will let it blink away overnight, see how it is in the morning. 3.281V out of the regulator now.
9:15pm Monday night, almost 72 hours, LED flashing became erratic. Time for a recharge!

View Profile

Got my through-hole PCB from CrossRoads today and got it all put together and soldered up.  Works like a champ (except Mouser sent me the wrong size DC power jack, but I made do).  Thanks for your work laying out, producing, and distributing the board, CrossRoads!  smiley-grin

Went together pretty easily.  The main difficulty I had was, the silkscreen doesn't make it very clear which way the LEDs go.  L and PWR are pretty obvious since you can see that one side ties into the ground plane, but for TX and RX I had to dig back through the thread for the schematic to see which side the +5V would be coming from.  Also, my surface-mount soldering looks like crap (especially that poor PTC fuse.  Ugliest solder job I've done in a while), but that's on me, and anyway it gets the job done smiley-wink.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Got my through-hole PCB from CrossRoads today and got it all put together and soldered up.  Works like a champ (except Mouser sent me the wrong size DC power jack, but I made do).  Thanks for your work laying out, producing, and distributing the board, CrossRoads!  smiley-grin

Went together pretty easily.  The main difficulty I had was, the silkscreen doesn't make it very clear which way the LEDs go.  L and PWR are pretty obvious since you can see that one side ties into the ground plane, but for TX and RX I had to dig back through the thread for the schematic to see which side the +5V would be coming from.  Also, my surface-mount soldering looks like crap (especially that poor PTC fuse.  Ugliest solder job I've done in a while), but that's on me, and anyway it gets the job done smiley-wink.

Good to hear. Any difficulties getting a bootloader burned into the 1284p? Can you describe the method and steps you took to perform loading the bootloader? I too bought a pair of THB PCBs, but don't know when I will get around to acquiring the odds and ends parts to get it going.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Cool! @amateurasu , how about a picture?
I see what you mean about the LED marking:
It looks so clear on the Eagle layout, cathodes to the left, or up for the power LED  - but loses just enough on the stenciling to make it not clear.

* Thruhole_layout_final.png (25.98 KB, 991x522 - viewed 30 times.)

View Profile

I've been programming it with ICSP, using my Pololu USB AVR programmer, so I can't speak to how it works over FTDI or that Mikroelektronika board (I put the FTDI header on, but didn't buy a Mikro to put on).  I still haven't got the Arduino software to be able to burn to it directly (keep getting data mismatch errors when avrdude tries to verify the burn), but after it fails, I can find the .hex file it leaves in the temp directory and burn that using AVR Studio 5.  I'll see about getting a picture up tomorrow.  For now, it's bedtime.  smiley

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I've been programming it with ICSP, using my Pololu USB AVR programmer, so I can't speak to how it works over FTDI or that Mikroelektronika board (I put the FTDI header on, but didn't buy a Mikro to put on).  I still haven't got the Arduino software to be able to burn to it directly (keep getting data mismatch errors when avrdude tries to verify the burn), but after it fails, I can find the .hex file it leaves in the temp directory and burn that using AVR Studio 5.  I'll see about getting a picture up tomorrow.  For now, it's bedtime.  smiley

So basically you haven't proved that you can program the board using the arduino IDE with either ICSP or bootloader. Are you planning on pursuing that 'problem'?

Lefty

View Profile

I was having the same problem even with just a basic breadboard setup.  The Arduino software sees the 1284P, gets the right Device ID response, and I can successfully burn the bootloader and set the fuses.  But when I try to actually upload a program, avrdude seems to get the responses it's looking for and sets about programming the chip, but then when it's checking the burn, it gives me a "verification error; content mismatch".  It's not always at the first byte, either.  On my breadboard setup, the mismatch would happen at 0x0000 or 0x0002, seemingly randomly, but on the board it's happening at 0x0157 pretty consistently.  I've attempted to use the IDE to program some other ATtiny's, offboard 328P's, etc. before, and it never seems to work right.  The few times I've been able to get it to work, if I change settings to do something else and then change back to what worked, it no longer works.  Personally, I just don't think it's worth the effort trying to force the Arduino IDE to do something it is so clearly ill-suited for, when I have a workable, if inelegant, solution using AVR Studio.  Arduino IDE works great if you're plugged into an Arduino over USB.  Everything else I've tried has been a headache.

Anywho, pictures!  If you could all just pretend not to see that poor little polyfuse, I'd appreciate it.  smiley-wink  edit: Wow, didn't notice until I looked at the pictures, but looks like I must have hit the female header strip with my soldering iron near D5.  Oops...  smiley-sweat

* View1.JPG (328.18 KB, 1200x655 - viewed 32 times.)

* View2.JPG (336.66 KB, 1200x653 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:42:28 pm by amateurasu » Logged

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Beautiful board!
Regarding burning the bootloader on 1284 and using it with Arduino IDE, did you follow this thread (especially the last few posts)?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Nice job!
Wow, those resistors look so old school now.

I was envisioning the 2x3 header in the corner to be pins also, to select whether SCL/SDA or A4/A5 (or) D18/D19 went over to the shield header.

Did you cutoff the Power header to make it 7 pins instead of 8?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40   Go Up
Jump to: