Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40   Go Down
Author Topic: ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE  (Read 73440 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I sometimes think if the 1284p worth the time spent... It is a shit that Arduino doesn't officialy support the 1284p, the Atmega2560 it's fantastic, but not for learn as it is impossible (or at least for me) to solder on a PCB. And the 328 it's like a toy, i go over the 32Kb flash in no time.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Maybe its the choice of programmers.
I've been using Atmel AVR ISP MKii for a while now to program '1284Ps, and I don't have any problems.
Everyone else seems to be struggling with everything but.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Canada
Frequently Befuddled
View Profile

Touch wood, I haven't run into any trouble yet with the '1284p. I'm using Sparkfun's Pocket Programmer (USBTinyISP compatible) to burn bootloaders.

Also, I've only used the TQFP version.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Same die is used in the DIP or TQFP (or the leadless) package - programmer does not see a difference.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

California
God Member
View Profile

Question CrossRoads,

Have you burned a 1284p bootloader with the Arduino IDE and the AVRISP MkII?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

That's how I do all mine now. Mostly because I had misplaced by FTDI Basic, and I got used to doing that way.
Burn the bootloader first to get the fuses set, then file:upoad using programmer to put a sketch in.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

Thanks for the info.  Mine was not the signature, it was a page write type error.  Once the bootloader installed, you could upload blink to the microcontroller, but if the sketch size got over ~25kb, it would choke with the page write error.
There was a bug with the Optiboot 4.0 if you tried to flash a sketch bigger than 30 kB. Starting with Optiboot 4.4 this problem has been solved.
I don't know if this is your case.

View Profile

Well well, problem solved. I used the connection diagram of wiring.co.org and I was able to burn the bootloader perfectly. Using an Arduino Uno as ICSP.
However I can not upload any skecht, obviously because the 1284p doesn't have USB!

If I buy the AVR ISP MkII I think this will be solved. But: Do I have to change something in the boards.txt in order to program from the IDE directly with the MKII, right?

Belgium
View Profile

I just bootloaded another ATmega1284P-PU with the maniacbug bootloader, I used Arduino 1.0.1 and an USBasp. I never had any trouble bootloading 1284's. I've bootloaded the first 1284's I got with Arduino 0023 and used an Arduino as isp, now I'm using Arduino 1.0.1 and an USBasp. The first chips I received have the 1216 timestamp, the last ones I got have the 1226 timestamp. So not everyone is having trouble with these chips  smiley

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Well well, problem solved. I used the connection diagram of wiring.co.org and I was able to burn the bootloader perfectly. Using an Arduino Uno as ICSP.
However I can not upload any skecht, obviously because the 1284p doesn't have USB!

If I buy the AVR ISP MkII I think this will be solved. But: Do I have to change something in the boards.txt in order to program from the IDE directly with the MKII, right?

Not with the current version of the IDE, you just have to have the proper board selected and proper programmer selected from the Tools menu, and then use the IDE's File menu option of 'upload using programmer'.

Lefty

View Profile

Not with the current version of the IDE, you just have to have the proper board selected and proper programmer selected from the Tools menu, and then use the IDE's File menu option of 'upload using programmer'.

Lefty

GREAT!!!!

California
God Member
View Profile

There was a bug with the Optiboot 4.0 if you tried to flash a sketch bigger than 30 kB. Starting with Optiboot 4.4 this problem has been solved.

Nope.  It was Optiboot 4.5.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

Nope.  It was Optiboot 4.5.
Sorry but you're wrong  smiley-wink
The 30kB bug has been solved with Optiboot 4.4. It was the issue #380
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64105.0.html
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=380

California
God Member
View Profile

Sorry but you're wrong 
The 30kB bug has been solved with Optiboot 4.4. It was the issue #380
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64105.0.html
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=380

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I meant that I have only tested 4.5 on the 1284p, not that the bug is on the new version  smiley-razz

Besides, I am up with 4.5 with a 16MHz resonator and when I get a chance I will try the cap/res filter technique again with external crystal.

View Profile

What about running the 1284p at 20Mhz? As far as I know if you change the value in the boards.txt the millis should work fine.
Can I have any other problems?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40   Go Up
Jump to: