Go Down

Topic: ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE (Read 76 times) previous topic - next topic

adilinden

I can't help you with the 1284p, but the pins_arduino.h is already done for the 32u4 in hardware / arduino / variants / leonardo of the Arduino install folder.

Correct, but my 32U4 pinout is different then the Leonardo pinout. So I will still need to modify pins_arduino.h for both boards, and understand how that is done.

adilinden

I have some pictures of the assembled boards if anyone is interested...
http://adis.ca/post/uino-32u4-uino-1284p-alive/

CrossRoads

Nice work!
My 1284 DIP boards shipped from iteadstudio today, could have boards in a week or so.

@maniacbug -
Went to see skyjumper today to see why I can't download sketches via serial port. Figured my software was hosed.
We did sort some oddity out, I was seeing lots of 1284 board types when I opened the IDE up, we cleaned up boards.txt to straighten that out, and also straightened out the baud rate changes I had been trying.

In IDE 1.0 discovered that after downloading a bootloader, if I select Bobuino as a board type, that the sketch download would not complete, results in the not in synch errors I had reported earlier.
We used skyjumper's AVR Studio 5 setup to read the fuses - and discovered that the 3rd bootloader fuse listed was listed as Locked, and had to be cleared to Not Locked before a sketch would download.

Selecting one of these as the board type

Mighty 1284p 16 MHz using Optiboot, or
avr-developors.com pinouts16 MHz using Optiboot

didn't seem to have the same problem.
Any ideas?
We were looking at averdude.conf, but we decided that the file was the same for all 3 board types.
Also looked at boards.txt, made sure the fuses entries for the 3 board types were the same, didn't see any change in performance.
At that point we stopped, figured I had a solution I could get by with temporarily - download AVR5, borrow an AVR MkII programmer from skyjumper for some boards I have coming in.

Occurred to me as I started typing this up - we had opened pins_arduino.h, didn't really know what to do with it - this file seems to be the thing that is different between the 3 board types. Is there something in the way that the Rx, Tx lines are defined that would prevent the serial port from working?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

CrossRoads

Have AVR5 installed now, its Lock  Bit BLB1 that seems to be getting set.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

markab

Just wanted to jump in and say Hi,

I just completed assembly of my new 1284P-AU based board last night and burned the 1284p optiboot loader, so far so good I will give it a full test out over the next few days, I just need to understand the pinout variations that you are discussing here and if it will effect my board design and how I use the bootloader and IDE.

For my first full end to end design including smd reflow with a skillet/frying pan I am pretty happy with how it turned out only issue was the regulator was supplied as the wrong part by farnell so I can't use the unregulated input supply until I replace the IC.  I will be making the design source files available somewhere soon and also have a Rev B in the making with some improvements.

Here is the board assembled...

Go Up