Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Internet Controlled Car  (Read 1110 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I’ve always wanted to make an internet controlled electric car (about the size of a RC car) that uses 3g for motion and commands and a second device that uses 4g (or 3g) for video streaming. From my computer I would drive this thing down the street and keep going further and further away from my house, wherever 3g service is available. When it’s not in use, I would send a command to expand the solar panels and it would recharge itself. How difficult does this project sound? I have no Arduino experience and little programming knowledge but I’m willing to learn. How feasible is this and what type of modules would I need if it’s possible?

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

This reminds me of when kids want to learn how to program, it is to make videogames. This has similar complexity for someone without programming knowledge.

So off the top of my head, you'd have to understand data communication through a 3G modem. I haven't got much knowledge about it, but I'd say that this is probably hard with the 8 bit Arduino.

Then you'd have to know about motor controls and somehow work that into saving battery life. Then you have to calculate a big enough car to carry all these and the extensible solar panels and most importantly, the batteries. Remember, the solar panels would have to be big enough to provide enough current to charge the batteries, this may become a problem.

So, start by making a car. Maybe you can control it with a wire and some potmeters to start with and to get some basics as driving the motors and reading analog inputs.
Then, maybe make the controls with an XBee or, why not, with a wiFly module. The best XBees out there can probably reach further than the Wifly. This will give you some insight on how to control the car wirelessly.

With the WiFly module, you can also begin to program the interface software for your computer. Since the Arduino won't be powerfull (or fast) enough to be controlled and work as a webserver. So some form of faster telecommunication needs to be in place. Also, the least amount of data you send, the better so that if this ever comes to life via 3G, you'll pay less for data. smiley-wink

Remember baby steps and you'll get there.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Since the Arduino won't be powerfull (or fast) enough to be controlled and work as a webserver.

Not necessairly so. If the car is being piloted via the on board cam, the car will have to go slow just to be controllable.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Not necessairly so. If the car is being piloted via the on board cam, the car will have to go slow just to be controllable.

Really slow to be controllable...

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

A good reality check would be to google for 3G robot and see if someone has already done a similar project.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Looking at the resources part of the Arduino Playground I eventually surfed here:
http://www.avnet-embedded.eu/products/wireless/.html

There are several modules capable of communicating with 3G.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If one of the 3g type phones can run a program like skype, then maybe a phone could be put on the car and have a dtmf decoding chip receive audio commands.

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm curious now... how would someone program the security part of this?
What would you use? And what consequence would it have on the speed of the arduino?

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

I'm curious now... how would someone program the security part of this?
What would you use? And what consequence would it have on the speed of the arduino?

If you mean comms security, I've only done a little encryption work but it seemed to me to use an inordinate amount of code and memory. Ignoring the practical limitations of the Arduino hardware, it would not be especially complicated to add some form of SSL.

But I'd be more worried about somebody simply picking up this toy car and making off with it. Wouldn't you feel rather foolish if that happened?

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

scranton,pa
View Profile

I am building one now,3g/4g robot /car.To make it easer i started with a wowwee rovio that can be controlled over internet with computer or smartphone(that part of program is done for you).The motors are week and it has a lot of safety set into it,so i am building a platform using rovio,4 harbor freight drill motors($13 on sale),servos (to control motors instead of H-bridge)foscam ip cam,verizon 4g/3g Mobile Hotspot,2 12v batters(from kids car)and arduino.so far so good hope to have pictures and plans on build soon

View Profile

I created this project as a senior project for my undergrad.

All steps are described in detail with source code exposed.

http://brandonscv.zzl.org/internetCar.php

View Profile

I created this project as a senior project for my undergrad.

All steps are described in detail with source code exposed.

http://brandonscv.zzl.org/internetCar.php

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: