Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino GSM Module from ITead Studio  (Read 16247 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello all,

I am using the GSM Module from Itead studio. I cannot get it to register on the GSm network,

This is the module:

http://iteadstudio.com/produce/sim900-gprs-shield-icomsat-preview/

The response I get in the serial window is:

system startup
GSM doesn't response
Registration 0

and in the arduino software:

Error inside Serial.serialEvent()
java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor in nativeavailable
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort.nativeavailable(Native Method)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort$SerialInputStream.available(RXTXPort.java:1532)
   at processing.app.Serial.serialEvent(Serial.java:215)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort.sendEvent(RXTXPort.java:732)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort.eventLoop(Native Method)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort$MonitorThread.run(RXTXPort.java:1575)

it seems that its not able to register on the gsm network.

Any help would be great. I am giving up and consider the SIM900 package on the module to be broken and i dont think its worth buying another.

View Profile

Stupid question #1:
Does the module work? (Please describe the status of the LED's on the GSM shield)

Stupid question #2:
Does the shield work / respond if you load a simple sketch that redirect data from the serial bus to the module.

View Profile

LOL  Those questions should have been answered in the original post. The LED's are working and the GSM module does power on.

Once connnected the PWR light is on.

One the power button is pushed:
- The NET light is solid green for a second

Then it goes to a communications state:
      -Status light is solid green
      - Net light is 64ms On/300ms Off  (GPRS communication is established)

Then after registration failure (or at least I assume is the problem):
     - Status light si still solid green
     - the Net light flashes 64ms On/800ms Off (SIM900 not registered the network)

I called Rogers my service provider adn they said as long as the SIM900 Module is unlocked it should register automatically.

In the serial window I still get:

system startup
GSM doesn't response
Registration 0
GSM doesn't response
Registration 0     (Repeats this way)

I connected through the Debug Port last night using a MAX232 chip and a USB to RS232 cable and I get the same response in Hyperterminal:

system startup
GSM doesn't response
Registration 0
Registration 0
GSM doesn't response
Registration 0     (Repeats this way)

I've tried the commands in hyperterminal but I get no response from the module.

AT+CPIN?
AT+GSN
AT+CSQ
AT+CREG?
AT+COPS?
AT+GMR

If I can receive data from the GSM module then I know I have the TX and RX port connected correctly for the debug communication throught the Debug port. But the maybe I dont have the right Hyperterminal setting.

Thanks for you response,

ecave

Ontario, Canada
Love OpenSource...
View Profile

I have a GSM module from Seeed Studios up and running fine. It uses the SIM900 as well. For initial testi I used simple serial pass thru sketch that allows me to use a terminal program to communicate with the shield via

I am using a DMTS SIM. DMTS is a small Canadian GSM carrier.

View Profile

Hmmm, more stupid questions:

Does you SIM work and is is unlocked (no lock code)?

Is your power supply good enough (can it supply enough current to support the transmit bursts needed to register to the network?)

Is your antenna OK?

It seems like something phony on the module, I would have expected it to end up with a led sequence of a short blink every three seconds or so...

View Profile

Its LED blinks close to every three seconds, but Im sure its the "Not Registered" timing.

I couldn't get a hold of an ITead Studio representative to find out if its unlocked, but when I called Rogers Wireless they said that if the SIM900 module isn't manufactured for a specific carrier it shouldn't be lock. And I assume they would provide me with an unlock code if it was locked.

The antenna should be fine, it was the one supplied by ITead studio. I even tried connecting with an external SMB connector and a cable to bring the antenna further away from the module in case of any interference with the SIM900 module as Boris Landoni recommended in another forum.

I am using a 9V 1.5 A power adapter so it should be giving me about 13.5 Watts. It should be enough power.

I tried connecting to the module via  MAX232N serial to Serial 232 connection. I have the MAX232N IC in this connection:

http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter/

and I had a serial 232 to usb cable on the other end. I was able to receive message from the SIM900 module, but any AT commands I sent the other way seemed to have no effect.

I was wondering if I need a new SIM card with a new account to register the unique IMEI number but Rogers Wireless said that it should automatically register my module on their network.

I tried adding data to my plan in case that would work, but it did nothing. Tried multiple Arduino boards and now I now of another person with the same problem using the same Module. Theres a new GSM library version, I think Im going to try that next.

Either that or try ordering a seeed studio module instead.

Ecave

View Profile

Its LED blinks close to every three seconds, but Im sure its the "Not Registered" timing.

I couldn't get a hold of an ITead Studio representative to find out if its unlocked, but when I called Rogers Wireless they said that if the SIM900 module isn't manufactured for a specific carrier it shouldn't be lock. And I assume they would provide me with an unlock code if it was locked.

The antenna should be fine, it was the one supplied by ITead studio. I even tried connecting with an external SMB connector and a cable to bring the antenna further away from the module in case of any interference with the SIM900 module as Boris Landoni recommended in another forum.

I am using a 9V 1.5 A power adapter so it should be giving me about 13.5 Watts. It should be enough power.

I tried connecting to the module via  MAX232N serial to Serial 232 connection. I have the MAX232N IC in this connection:

http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter/

and I had a serial 232 to usb cable on the other end. I was able to receive message from the SIM900 module, but any AT commands I sent the other way seemed to have no effect.

I was wondering if I need a new SIM card with a new account to register the unique IMEI number but Rogers Wireless said that it should automatically register my module on their network.

I tried adding data to my plan in case that would work, but it did nothing. Tried multiple Arduino boards and now I now of another person with the same problem using the same Module. Theres a new GSM library version, I think Im going to try that next.

Either that or try ordering a seeed studio module instead.

Ecave

Unfortunately I'm the "other person" who is getting the EXACT same problem with this shield and an Arduino UNO.

I'm reluctant to try anything else as I'm convinced they are selling a dodgy product. I am going to contact them and demand a refund. Not happy at all.

I don't actually have a 9V DC power supply to actually try it with. Maybe I should give that a go. I'm just trying to power it with a USB cable plugged directly into my Mac.

View Profile

One blink every three seconds or so indicates the device is connected to the network and ready to use - so far so good...

What happens if you use a simple passthrough code like this>

Code:
//Serial Relay - Arduino will patch a
//serial link between the computer and the GPRS Shield
//at 19200 bps 8-N-1
//Computer is connected to Hardware UART
//GPRS Shield is connected to the Software UART

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>

NewSoftSerial mySerial(7, 8);    // You must change these port numbers to reflect the serial pins you're using

void setup()
{
  mySerial.begin(19200);               // the GPRS baud rate
  Serial.begin(19200);                 // the GPRS baud rate   
  Serial.println("Turning on");

}

void loop()
{
    if(Serial.available())
    {
       mySerial.print((unsigned char)Serial.read());
     } 
    else  if(mySerial.available())
    {
       Serial.print((unsigned char)mySerial.read());
     }   

}

If you load this code then you should be able to communicate with the modem froam a terminal program

It can be recommended not to use use the built-in terminal program in Arduino, as this have problems passing the <cr> and <lf> signals through, use the bray terminal instead

If you cannot make this work you could try different (slower) baudrates. The SIM900 module most likely will be set to 'autobauding', so it should adapt by itself - at least in theory  smiley-eek

View Profile

remove pin code first

View Profile

remove pin code first

The sim card doesn't have a pin code!

View Profile

well, insert sim card before powering the module, I did this mistake.

View Profile

well, insert sim card before powering the module, I did this mistake.

What you're saying makes no sense. I've always got the sim card in there before I power it on.

Cairns - Green Island for Winter
View Profile

I don't actually have a 9V DC power supply to actually try it with. Maybe I should give that a go. I'm just trying to power it with a USB cable plugged directly into my Mac.

For your info when the usb cable and device is connected it tells the computer how much power it will need and the usb connection is then limited to that.

That's how I understand it atm, I'm learning . When connecting other modem devices I have found I must supply extra power for the device by plugging in the 9V battery to the power inlet of the arduino board.

Governments should do what they were designed to do only.
Manage the larger issues best done by Government.
My Family and my Property are no

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
... in The Woods In Vermont
View Profile

Hi,

Any more news on this?? 

I'm considering handling these Itead modules and I'd like to keep up on the problems you're having..

I don't have my hands on one yet, but soon....

Thanks!

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

View Profile

Did you hold down the SIM900 power button after power up, as described in the data sheet?
SIM900-POWER: After the IcomSat power on, you need to press the SIM900-POWER button for a moment to power on the SIM900 module. The pin 9 of Arduino interface is connecting to PWRKEY, and a high pulse with 400us wide can power on/off it.
Not sure if this is just for v1.1, but it solved the problem for me

Found it works very well with the library from http://code.google.com/p/gsm-shield-arduino/

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: