Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Getting Started w/Sparkfun MIDI/Musical Instrument Shield  (Read 1489 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Greetings all.. 

I've been breadboarding, hacking, and building for a couple years now and have finally gotten to where I'm ready to do something with all the shields I bought for my Duemilanove, but aside from blinking an LED, I've not done much with my Arduino.  I'm still a bit timid and just need the proper push to get the ball rolling.  I have Sparkfun's MIDI breakout board and Musical Instrument Shield, but can't seem to find the starting point.  Obviously I could stack the Musical Instrument Shield on top of the Arduino, but where exactly do I go from there?  I copy and paste the example code into a sketch and upload it to the Arduino, but then..  uh. 

And I've got a ton of MIDI capable instruments (SPD-20, Dr. Sample, Dr. Rhythm, MicroKorg, etc), so I'm really excited to get started, I suppose I'm just overwhelmed with possibilities.  Thanks for any and all help/advice. 

Cheers,
Jrm

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So you obviously don't need the Arduino to generate some music, but you could build something completely different, like:

- Let the Arduino listen on the midichannels and if a high C is detected start your coffee machine - C from Coffee makes sense smiley-wink

- make a Midi echo device - listen to Midi and play the same notes

- let it switch on the light above your sheet music, after notes detected and switch instruments off after 1 minute of no notes.

Especially the last one is usefull imho, someone gets a phonecall, does something different and forgets the light and keyboard etc..

enough inspiration to get started?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: