Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mass Produce?  (Read 2103 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Amazon - official UNO made in Italy - $27.50
http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-A000046-UNO-board/dp/B004CG4CN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323025351&sr=8-1

That's what I paid, Slick. Do more looking around, assembled clones sell in the low $20's.
You can easily find that in under 1 hour of "market research".
But what did you do?

There are several Open Source licenses with certain restrictions on each. You not knowing that speaks loudly.

Whereas I read the actual one that applies. No, you don't need special dispensation. Neither do the many and varied people marketing clones and compatibles today.

You don't supply enough data for "constructive input" beyond, hey, you need to get your head out of your plans and look before you leap.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

View Profile

$27.50 + shipping is $30.00

$27.50 is $30.00 for that matter. $2.50 is negligible.

That's what I paid, Slick. Do more looking around, assembled clones sell in the low $20's.
You can easily find that in under 1 hour of "market research".
But what did you do?

I never asked about clones. I am sure that they are cheaper (as knockoffs always are) and I appreciate the heads up but you dont need to be rude about it.

There are several Open Source licenses with certain restrictions on each. You not knowing that speaks loudly.

Whereas I read the actual one that applies. No, you don't need special dispensation. Neither do the many and varied people marketing clones and compatibles today.

Hold on here....
I said I would check the licensing...
You commented that if I needed to check the license then I dont know what open source means...
I said that there are multiple levels of open source licensing...
You said that you checked the specific open source license that pertains to Arduino...
which is exactly what I said that I would do in the first place!

So just admit that you were wrong to suggest that the license did not need checking and that I did not understand open source in the first place. Your comment was unwarranted and incorrect... and rude.

You don't supply enough data for "constructive input" beyond, hey, you need to get your head out of your plans and look before you leap.

I am "looking before I Ieap". What do you think this thread is for in the first place?

I have gotten lots of valuable info from other forum members. I have gotten nothing but improper, rude comments from you. Please stay out of my threads if this is all you have to offer.

I often help people in my areas of expertise, Linux systems engineering and web application development, and I dont see the need to make the types of comments that you have made here. If thats your personality, fine but please respect my thread enough to stay out of it and let me converse with those willing to help.

Netherlands
God Member
A naughty mind is a joy forever.
View Profile

Let's not start a fight, we're talking starting a mass production, point is getting missing info available, there's no production yet.

I do think a lot of good points are made though, spicy ones included.

One thing I hadn't thought of this morning, what... do you want to mass-produce ?
You gave a board driving a servo as example, but that's all.

Thing I'm thinking about is possible requirement of certificates.

Should you, as example, need several hundred boards for an art-project you're making I guess you could do almost everything you like, please... keep it safe though. Should you, on the other hand sell a product that controls AC-equipment as well or otherwise could be dangerous, you very probably need your product to be tested by a safety-lab to get the right certificates before you can sell.

Different countries use different rules. If you need your product to be tested that will unfortunately be a big investment, it may be too expensive to gain back with a few hundred boards.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:10:17 pm by Simpson_Jr » Logged

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

liudr mentioned enclosures, I find that's the single hardest part of a project, getting the right box at the right price. In fact I've just given up yet again and my current project will be naked.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:24:19 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

View Profile

That is a good point. I do carry business insurance for general liability and the device that I am controlling is UL listed and NOT sold by my company. I can resell the Wall Wart separately so it is covered by the manufacturer leaving the only liability on me being that of the Arduino board and the Servo. Since both use under 6v operating voltage, the safety risk is very minimal.

As for the packaging, this is something I have not had to deal with yet and I expect it will be difficult. I plan to have a "controller" box that can just be a glorified project box with a few holes for LED display. The smaller box for the servo motor is more of a challenge as it has to fit to a specific form factor for proper mounting. I would like for both boxes to be branded either via a sticker or possibly engraved/raised lettering/logo. I expect any local machine shop with a CNC machine can handle that. 

Thanks for the valuable points.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Have a look at polycase

http://www.polycase.com/

They have a great range and they will machine them as well. The boxes are cheap, the machining not so much but you'll find that anywhere, CNC machining is not cheap.

Also San He

http://www.china-mould.com/enindex.asp

They have an amazing range (some of which you may recognize from stuff in the shops) and will send samples if you have a courier account.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

View Profile

Looks great.

Thanks

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

I never asked about clones.

So what are you making?

And Amazon ships free for over $25 orders and they are not the lowest price.
Arduino UNO is Open Source, clones are not "knock offs". You are being rude to say so.

I tried to point out that the assumptions you had made might break your venture and that you need to do more looking but wow, you know better so I'm a rude idiot.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:51:30 pm by GoForSmoke » Logged

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

View Profile

So what are you making?

I prefer to keep the full details private.

And Amazon ships free for over $25 orders and they are not the lowest price.

Fair enough.

Arduino UNO is Open Source, clones are not "knock offs". You are being rude to say so.

Meriam Webster defines a knock off as:

Noun:   
A copy or imitation, esp. of an expensive or designer product.

So a clone would be a knock off and it is not rude to say so.

I tried to point out that the assumptions you had made might break your venture and that you need to do more looking but wow, you know better so I'm a rude idiot.

That may have been what you tried to do but you did it in a rude manner which I dont appreciate and I never called you an idiot so those are your words, not mine.

I am going to ask you for a second time to please stay out of my thread(s) so they can stay on track.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: