Go Down

Topic: Motor control through USB Joystick (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic

Spencre0

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a small robotic arm that can be controlled by my Duemilanove (ATmega328p) through a USB Joystick.

In looking around, I've figured that to power my several servos and one DC motor, I'll need a motor shield, so I can't use a shield to connect the USB joystick to the Arduino board.

So my thought is to connect the Arduino board to my laptop, and the laptop to the joystick. Is there any way to do this?

James C4S

In looking around, I've figured that to power my several servos and one DC motor, I'll need a motor shield, so I can't use a shield to connect the USB joystick to the Arduino board.

Why?  Does the motor shield consume every available I/O pin and/or the pins used by the USB Host shield?

So my thought is to connect the Arduino board to my laptop, and the laptop to the joystick. Is there any way to do this?

Yes.  Write a program on your PC that reads the Joystick's status and then communicates with the Arduino over Serial.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Nadav Ami

You could also get the joysticks position directly from its potentiometers. You may need a bit of clever Arduino work to get the x and y however..

Nadav

Go Up