Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: That's Alcohol!  (Read 1586 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Video

Technical details
“That's Alcohol” installation is a prototype for innovative ethylometers to be proposed to italian police in order to prevent drunk-driving. The system is based on a TGS-822 Alcohol Sensor (made by Figaro) that detects the alcoholometric level into the user breathe. The data are collected in real-time by an Arduino board that drives analogically a 24.7 Kg-force servo-motor (Hitec HS 805 BB+) depending on the drunkness-level result achieved. Finally, the servo-motor is connected to a plastic table that pushes through some pistons the string-puppets to let them leaning more or less.
For a stronger feedback, Arduino board dialogues through serproxy with a Flash-based animation that displays step-by-step the results and some suggestions on how to reach a better drunkness-level.

More info
Made by David Boardman, Roberto Pansolli, Pete Knocke (Domus Academy Milan + Interaction Design Institute Ivrea)

+ http://www.netzfunk.org/idesign/idesign-2007-ma-projects/thats-design-salone-del-mobile/

Prototype video

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:52:32 am by da5id.b » Logged

berlin
fubbi.com
View Profile

looking great!

I am looking at using the same sensor for triggering some el-wires

was it complicated to get the sensor calibrated, anything I should be aware of?

Would you mind sharing your script?

Thank you

fubbi

Milano, Italy
Faraday Member
Sideralis Arduino!
View Profile

It's this one the same sensor used by italian police? As I am italian I could install one in my car where I already have an arduino to be aware of the consequences of my night parties... F

Federico - Sideralis
Arduino &C: http://www.sideralis.org
Foto: http://blackman.amicofigo.com

B0100111001000011, USA
Edison Member
I'm confused.  Wait, maybe not..
View Profile

As I am italian I could install one in my car where I already have an arduino to be aware of the consequences of my night parties... F

The problem with installing it yourself is that you know how to uninstall it if you want to drive anyways ;D!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

@fubby: unfortunately that script is somewhere lost on an old computer - the project is dated 2007. However, I recall that the code was nothing really complicated.

For the project we used a Figaro sensor that was extremely sensible and accurate. For That's Alcohol project we didn't need to have a precise calibration - the interaction design of the project didn't require it. Anyhow, you can find on the Web different explanations regarding how to calibrate an alcohol sensor. Basically, you just need a glass, water and pure alcohol and some patience. Have fun!

@federico: Of course it is smiley

@all: meanwhile - the project page has moved on another website. Please find it here http://www.tinktank.it/portfolio/contents/exhibition/thats-alcohol/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:18:34 pm by da5id.b » Logged

Netherlands
View Profile

Wow, really cool project. Showed it to my wife and even she liked it smiley-wink (I am usually a bit more appreciative of interactive installations smiley-wink).

berlin
fubbi.com
View Profile

Hi

yes the script was really simple. However, the pins on the 822 are confusing. I found tutorials for the similar MQ-3 but I have difficulties translating those to the 822.

Do you remember the pin order by any chance?

thanks

Arduino rocks
View Profile

@Meinaart: thanks to you and your wife.

@fubbi: yes, I remember the sensor pins handling was quite a pain in the a**. Remember to insulate each pin connection to avoid surprises.

You may want to have a look to the TGS822 datasheet www.figarosensor.com/products/822pdf.pdf  

The part you are probably more interested at this point is the "Basic Measuring Circuit" (page 2).

Good luck.

berlin
fubbi.com
View Profile

I got it hooked up and it reading fine. How hot did yours get? Mine is pretty hot, a little scary...

using a 1k resistor

fubbi
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:14:20 am by fubbi » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The sensor runs optimally at a certain temperature. In fact, it needs a Vh (heating) to work properly. I remember it was heating up quite a lot in the installation. However, the sensor stayed for 3 days in an warm environment with a poor air flow - and nothing really happened, besides some unexpected values that sometimes popped out (abnormal high or low values). Here some programming effort would help you to normalize the received data.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: