Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: problem connecting more than one servo  (Read 1280 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a problem to handle more than one servo. I have three servos, if I connect only one at any pin OWN work properly. But when I try to connect more than one servo simultaneously (each pin in his OWN) the source is shorted and everything stops working. What can be the problem. Thanks for everything.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

If you are connecting the servo power wires to the Arduino 5V pin you may be drawing more power than the Arduino has available.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

A basic standard 3.5Kg.cm servo may easily draw 0.6A when under some load (0.8A almost stalled).
Besides this, a servo pulls spikes of a lot of current when starting to move, and that can easily bring the power supply's voltage down enough to cause resets on arduinos and microcontrollers. Sometimes it helps alot to put a generous capacitor (100uF or more) at the (+) and (-) servo power pins, on each servo.

View Profile

The servos are connected to an external source, and share the mass with arduino. Arduino handles only single pulses to move the servo.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

So what is the current rating of your power supply, it sounds like it is too small.

View Profile

Is a PC power, more than 20A for 5 volts. thanks

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well 20A should be enough.
When you say:-
the source is shorted and everything stops working
Are you sure it is shorted, what evidence do you have for this. Have you measured the output from the power supply when this happens.

It could be that interference generated by the servos is resting the arduino or even the power supply. If so you need to add some large capacitors across the servos, something like 100uF or larger.

View Profile

thanks Grumpy_Mike , but another question, how do I connect these capacitors?

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You may need to paste your code for review. Below is a basic servo power supply setup, note the servo power supply and arduino grounds are connected. The notion that the servos are generating noise causing a problem requiring capacitors is probably wrong.  

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:05:14 pm by zoomkat » Logged

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

not the servo power supply and arduino grounds are connected.

should say:-

note the servo power supply and arduino grounds are connected.

how do I connect these capacitors?
Do you mean how or where? The are connected from the + voltage source to the - voltage source (ground) as close to the motor as you can get. You connect them by soldering them at the servo terminals if possible, or the end of the wires if not.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It could be that interference generated by the servos is resting the arduino or even the power supply. If so you need to add some large capacitors across the servos, something like 100uF or larger.

There may be noise from the power supply if it is a switching unit. I have servos connected to my arduino and don't seem to have noise issues. I don't think servos make much electrical noise, otherwise thousands of RC hobbiest would be using capacitors on their servos. Large brushed motors might cause electrical noise.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I don't think servos make much electrical noise,
Yes they do, we get this all the time on this forum. In a RC situation the reviver is adiquitly protected by the manufacturer, an arduino has only minimum supply decoupling.

View Profile

I don't think servos make much electrical noise,
Yes they do, we get this all the time on this forum. In a RC situation the reviver is adiquitly protected by the manufacturer, an arduino has only minimum supply decoupling.
Not to mention that R/C guys usually use big lipo bats and arduino guys sometimes use just NiMH AA cells and other power sources that don't react that fast to sudden current demand. Good and big AA NiMH cells actually aren't that bad (we're talking 2 or 3 servos here), but adding the capacitors still has advantages at lower states of charge, actually making the cells' charge "last longer".

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,

I have several projects in progress that involve radio controlled cars and interfacing between the receiver and speed controller or servos. I have built test rigs which work however I was also aware that there was too much noise running around the system.

It's a bit of a Mission to source components and as there seem to be a few people responding here who know a good bit more than I do and as this request is still within topic, could anyone help with compiling a parts list to reduce the noise in the environment of a radio controlled model.

My list so far is -
1) ceramic capacitors in 10,1,.1 and .01uF across servo signal and ground
2) 47uf across arduino supply pins which are supplied by the same lipo battery used to power the car, esc, motor and servo
3) 6800uf capacitor across the supply pins of the ESC

I would like to go with this approach, however if I can get the parts I am just as happy to optically isolate the input and output signals between the arduino and car. I am guessing  that if I want to share power this doesn't really effect the need to decouple noise so any and all help with the shopping list is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Duane.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: