Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno and Motorola Xoom (Read 912 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi, 
      Firstly, appologies if I am posting in the wrong forum. I wasnt sure (Being a newbie) where to post approprialtely, so I chose this forum. I am trying to connect my Arduino Uno to my Motorola Xoom (UK wifi version running Honeycombe 3.2). I can successfully hook up via the usb adapter my usb keyboard, tested and works fine. Upon connecting my Arduino Uno, nothing appears to happen apart from my Arduino powering on. My aim was to connect my Arduino Uno to my motorola xoom and control (turn on and off) a 4 channel relay board connected to my Arduino Uno.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Richard

James C4S

Does the Xoom's operating system support USB-based serial port devices?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Honestly, im unsure. I didnt think it would be so much hastle to do what I want, got that completely wrong. When connecting my Arduino Uno to my pc, I'm able to upload "sketches" etc. All I would like to do, is upload a "sketch" (if thats the correct term) to my Uno, then connect  my Uno to my Motorola Xoom (via usb , as I have the attachment with the USB port on the end, like the camera attachement). Once connected I just need my "Android App" to turn on and turn off a relay connected to my UNO. I thought it would be possible to do all of this WITHOUT a USB host shield!...

Regards

Richard

James C4S

Dec 06, 2011, 08:22 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2011, 08:24 pm by James C4S Reason: 1
All I would like to do

Keep in mind that there are many (many) layers of software, drivers, firmware, and even hardware at play to make an Arduino work with a PC.  Many of those layers have over 10 years of legacy attached to them.  Tablet operating systems don't necessarily carry of that legacy with them.

connect  my Uno to my Motorola Xoom (via usb , as I have the attachment with the USB port on the end, like the camera attachement).

If your Xoom doesn't have drivers for a USB to Serial device (which is what the Arduino appears as to a host) then connecting it won't do any good.  It is possible it does, but I don't know enough about the Xoom's implementation of Android to know that answer.  Besides, unless you are running an application that takes to the serial port, what would you expect your Xoom to do when an Arduino is connected?

Once connected I just need my "Android App" to turn on and turn off a relay connected to my UNO. I thought it would be possible to do all of this WITHOUT a USB host shield!...

I'm not sure I understand where a host shield comes into play?  A host shield would be used so that you could connect USB devices to an Arduino.   In this case your Arduino is the device and the Xoom is the host.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Hi James, thanks very much for the feedback, really appreciated. As regards what my Xoom would do when I connected my "Uno", well I just thought there may have been some "System acknowledgement" that a device had been connected, or something like that anyway. Yeah, ignore my comment about the USB shield..(lack of understanding on my part, but googles clarified that one for me)..

Well, it kinda looks like i'm back at square one for my original forum entry...

Go Up