Go Down

Topic: Arduino and windows tablets (Read 2677 times) previous topic - next topic

cyberteque

Screw running any kind of IDE on a tablet!
Don't get me wrong, I love my Android tablet..

Why?

it is MINE!
I own it!

I can write software for it!

But seriously if you want a small platform to run the Arduino and Processing IDE's, get a netbook!

I run both IDE's on my ASUS 701 and 900 eee's all the time.

Best thing is I get about 6 to 8 hours out of a full battery and they have a "real" keyboard.

On my V9 tablet I have a "BASIC" like interpreter, typing on the screen is a pain!
I ended up buying a 6 pack of DS styli!

Before you ask, yes I do lug all that gear around in my bag!

Usually it's -

- V9 tablet
- 701 eee
- USB bluetooth dongle
- USB GSM/WCDMA/GPRS modem
- USB 'micro' mouse
- Bluetooth stereo headset
- Bluetooth earpiece
- Canon IXUS 75
- Aiptek HD video camera
- Sony miniDV camcorder
- 8x21 binoculars

What can I say, I geek on the move!

:)

guardian of light

Jeez, that's quite a load. Yeah, like I said, I have to use my lappy to code. Main reason I'd like to cut back is I carry about 40lbs of arduino crap daily back and forth from meetings to dev time.

Whole soldering kit, PCB etching setup, a box full of bare AVRs...Not to mention a massive LiIon battery pack and radio transmitter. I have this massive bag and its bursting to the seams, http://chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/metropolis-buckle-bag---large.html. Every little bit helps, haha.
Entrepreneurship, Arduino, Ham Radio & General Wannabe Hackery

http://insapio.com/
Twtr: @mltd_alexander

liudr

The tablet form factor is nice to have. You can make the arduino talk with it for applications that involve the tablet and arduino with sensors. You can't do it with a netbook having a keyboard sticking out. For comfort, you go get a full keyboard!

undeRGRound

Running a tegra 2 android honeycomb tab. Definitely not a toy. Holds my entire library of books (only 200ish), couple gigs off movies/music, runs my circuit simulation software, electronics calculators, word processing, packet sniffer, and  runs minecraft smoothly (better with ext keyboard and mouse.)

Highly recommended, the two day battery life means I only use my laptop for arduino. So hopefully an android port comes soon (this is being worked on, as avr-dude has already been ported, apparently)

2 further Q's:

1. Can you plug in thumb drive memory? (and use it of course, I see it has USB ports)

2. Arduino sketchpad works with this?

I'd like a tablet specifically for my Arduino work, even if it is more than a net/note/laptop.
working on my honorary doctorate LOL

liudr

I'm waiting to see what windows 8 could bring or fail to bring to mobile computing. Windows 7 tablets totally ruined my appetite for a windows tablet after just a few minutes with a few of them in a MicroSoft store. I want a tablet to work as a slightly slower laptop but without the keyboard sticking out. I can use a BT keyboard and mouse but the tablet form factor is important also easy turn on and off + battery life are important. But windows 7 interface is nuts if you use your finger.

Go Up