Go Down

Topic: Arduino and windows tablets (Read 2733 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

Don't mean to derail the good work of google with ADK and else such as plugs to link ipad to arduino but if I just spend $500 and get a win7 tablet (just as small as android or ipad), not the old-fashion tablet PC (convertible), then I can just use arduino IDE and processing or whatever I'm used to use to develop projects on them, right? They are the first real computer tablets. All others are play toys and store fronts at your finger tips?! Why doesn't apple make a tablet mac? Too self-centered to know there's a market for real computer tablets?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100013681&IsNodeId=1&Description=windows&name=Tablets&Order=BESTMATCH

The above are real computers by the way. My definition of real computers is that it is equal to a personal computer with choice of different operating systems (win, Mac OS, Linux), software choices on each OS, and developer's supports on each OS, that excludes android or iOS tablets.

NiHaoMike

You'll need an external keyboard to type code on. 4GB is a little on the low side for a new PC, but is more than enough if you only do embedded development and usual desktop stuff. Also note that the inefficiency of x86 just isn't too good in a tablet.
"Optiboot: the Tiffany Yep of Arduino bootloaders."

liudr

You'll need an external keyboard to type code on. 4GB is a little on the low side for a new PC, but is more than enough if you only do embedded development and usual desktop stuff. Also note that the inefficiency of x86 just isn't too good in a tablet.

What inefficiency of x86 do you mean? If you install Linux then 4GB is a lot. How much ram does a typical tablet have? ipad2 with 512 and some other ones with 1 to 2 gig only.

NiHaoMike

x86 is not very efficient compared to ARM. Just about every modern x86 needs a heatsink, only a few ARM need one.

liudr

I don't really have any data to prove this true or not but aren't the arm for much less powerful platforms like cell phones and cheaper tablets? Some of the tablets running win7 have core i5. It's not fair to compare core i5 with arm on the heat sink thing, just my 2 cents. I have yet to see a real computer made with arm processor.

NiHaoMike

The upcoming A15 core is expected to be a very powerful processor. Watt per watt, ARM does more work than x86. For the power footprint of an x86, you could run an array of ARMs that will beat the x86 quite easily. (No manufacturer has done that yet, but it's possible. Main issue is probably the licensing cost.) ARM is particularly good about throttling back when full performance is not needed, giving it a large advantage in most single user environments.

cyclegadget

This is kind of on topic. The Rasberry phi computer is looking to be extremely small. They show the circuit board to be the size of a credit card! http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Good links: Eagle tutorial= http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDE1858BD83D19C70
General Arduion tutorials = http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbtopic_id=123

liudr

This morning once again I was enraged by the stupid ipad2. I downloaded a zip file and had no way to open it, not even able to see where the file is located since ipad has no file browser. For such a simple function, you have to shell out a few dollars to pay for an app or so so that lord jobs can make money even in his own heaven. Android is better but still a toy with no capability to run actual programs, still designed to peddle apps to you for google's gain. If you purchase a PC software, such as winedt, an editor, you don't pay a part of the fee to MS. I wonder if this is true for Mac software.

A tablet with win8 is urgently needed here!

Any linux system good with multi-touch?

cr0sh

This morning once again I was enraged by the stupid ipad2.

Hey, if you don't want your "stupid ipad2" - I'll gladly take it off your hands for free!

I only wish I had the wherewithal to complain about my ownership of an ipad2 - my tiny violin is playing sweet music just for you, liudr!

:D

I downloaded a zip file and had no way to open it, not even able to see where the file is located since ipad has no file browser. For such a simple function, you have to shell out a few dollars to pay for an app or so so that lord jobs can make money even in his own heaven. Android is better but still a toy with no capability to run actual programs, still designed to peddle apps to you for google's gain.

I sure if you gave it some effort, you could jailbreak/r00t an Android pad to get to the underlying OS, which is Linux at its core; the Android interface is just a Java layer over that. Spend some time hacking on it (ok, a lot of time hacking on it?) you could probably even get the Arduino IDE to run...

If you purchase a PC software, such as winedt, an editor, you don't pay a part of the fee to MS. I wonder if this is true for Mac software.

A tablet with win8 is urgently needed here!

Any linux system good with multi-touch?

Like I said, at core, Android devices are Linux devices - so I would say "plenty are good at multi-touch"...

Now - I say this all as a long time user and fan of Linux (since 1995 or so!); my only real question would be what is your point or need for having the Arduino IDE on a tablet; are you seriously thinking about coding on one (I can't imagine doing that for long on an iPad or any other tablet)? Or do you have another need? For myself, I would want something akin to a real keyboard at least if the changes/development being done were anything extensive...

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

liudr

Good points cr0sh. I bought an ipad 2 for my wife since she's hanging on to her 4-year-old computer without upgrading. Also we don't want to be left behind the apple trend (turned out to be more of a cult) our friends are in. So we sold an arm to buy an ipad 2, our only apple since my apple II in around 1984. It was good for surfing but falls short when it comes to being a computer. There is no way to kill a program so all your programs are managed by the OS and if you run out of memory then a half-finished forum post is lost if you switch windows. There's no way you can change that. Also you can't see any files on the pad. It's completely a glorified ipod (which we don't own).

The reason to have a tablet that can host arduino ide is to be able to work in the field without a laptop. Say you just want to change a little of the program but you have to have a laptop. Plus, you can strap an arduino to the tablet and use sensors on arduino and computing power of the tablet for a lot of cool projects. I am also used to programming on PC, not with ADK etc. There are so many things you can do with a PC/Linux that you can't do on typical tablets. I want, for one, to make a virtual shooter game with a tablet and put all the lame shooter games that spawn out of wolf-3D to their graves. Can't do it with a regular PC. Has to be a tablet.

Ran Talbott

They are the first real computer tablets

I beg to differ: I have Fujitsu Stylistics (among others) from the late 1990s with real Pentium CPUs and standard PC-compatible chipsets.  They ran the Windoze and Linux systems of the time, and are still useful as embedded PCs (though they're not up to supporting today's feature-heavy desktop environments).

They're definitely "real computers".

liudr

Yeah, right. There's more, such as motion computing's tablets running xp etc. Those were out of average computer user's price range. I was carried away by the arguments.

cr0sh

They are the first real computer tablets

I beg to differ: I have Fujitsu Stylistics (among others) from the late 1990s with real Pentium CPUs and standard PC-compatible chipsets.  They ran the Windoze and Linux systems of the time, and are still useful as embedded PCs (though they're not up to supporting today's feature-heavy desktop environments).

They're definitely "real computers".

You still haven't gotten rid of those? ;)

Going back a bit further, there was the "Grid" tablets (late 80s or early 90s? Maybe mid 90's...don't remember).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

liudr

Just read about google's chromebooks. Cloud computing terminals claim to be the next new thing. You probably subscribe to it instead of buying it up right. Have they been on cheap meds?! What's wrong with them making such a worthless device? I bet they don't have arduino IDE web browser app on it.

guardian of light

Running a tegra 2 android honeycomb tab. Definitely not a toy. Holds my entire library of books (only 200ish), couple gigs off movies/music, runs my circuit simulation software, electronics calculators, word processing, packet sniffer, and  runs minecraft smoothly (better with ext keyboard and mouse.)

Highly recommended, the two day battery life means I only use my laptop for arduino. So hopefully an android port comes soon (this is being worked on, as avr-dude has already been ported, apparently)
Entrepreneurship, Arduino, Ham Radio & General Wannabe Hackery

http://insapio.com/
Twtr: @mltd_alexander

Go Up