Go Down

Topic: ESP8266 with Arduino UNO r3 Board (Read 574 times) previous topic - next topic

MSNayana

Hello Everyone,

I am working with ESP8266 wifi module with arduino IDE.I am not able to program and connect with ESP8266 module. When i try to Program using IDE by selecting Generic ESP8266 module , getting Errors as follows :
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed .

Please help me to solve this issue. Thanks in advance.

rw950431

Is the ESP8266 USB driver properly installed on your PC?   If using windows open the "Device Manager" and ensure that the port you chose in the board setup appears and disappears when you plug and unplug your ESP8266.

MSNayana

Thank you for the response.
when i connect my ESP8266 module with Arduino board , Iam not getting seperate port for ESP8266 .
Arduino port is detecting when i plug and unplug the module.

How to identify the port for ESP8266 ?

pert

You need to understand there are two different ways to use the ESP8266 with the Arduino IDE:
  • As a module connected to a standard Arduino Board such as Uno to provide WiFi communication.
  • Programmed directly as a standalone board using the ESP8266 Arduino core

It sounds like you're doing the former. Is that correct?

MSNayana

Yes i am Doing as per first method. I want use for wifi Communication via Arduino IDE.
I followed this link to communicate with my ESP8266 module.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=283043.0

Please suggest me the method to work with ESP8266 .Need your help.Thanks in advance.

pert

When you post a link please use the chain link icon on the toolbar to make it clickable.

The problem is you're trying to upload to the Uno, not the ESP8266 so you need to select Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno instead of Tools > Board > Generic ESP8266 module and you won't get a separate port for the ESP8266, you need to select the port of the Uno. The ESP8266 Arduino Core you installed is useless for your application, that's to be used for programming the ESP8266 as a standalone board.

habanero

If you're using the ESP8266 as an add-on to an Arduino to give it WiFi, as opposed to a standalone that you can program LIKE an Arduino, then you need to pick whichever Arduino board you're attaching it to in the Arduino IDE, and treat it like any other attached device (except that it doesn't use a special library, that I know of, and you talk to it with standard Serial library commands).

This is how I use and talk to it.

Go Up