Go Down

Topic: Max number of Strings in a char array (Read 605 times) previous topic - next topic

Elso

Hi there,
I am controlling an external LCD display, I have two char arrays with words, I randomly extrapolate words off each one of them, the concatenate them and visualise them on the display.
I was wondering, how many can I store in the Arduino Mega (which will run without laptop) before having to use external RAM?
Also, as I haven't used such RAM before, could you please advice what is the one I should buy?

Many thanks

Best

Elso

PaulS

I was wondering, how many can I store in the Arduino Mega (which will run without laptop) before having to use external RAM?

You can't store Strings of any size in a char array. You can store strings. There is a world of difference between the two.

There is no fixed number of strings that can fit in SRAM. There is a fixed limit on the amount of SRAM, but strings (and their length is critical) are only one of the things stored in SRAM.

Elso

Thanks Paul,
ops, yes, indeed I meant strings, not Strings...
:smiley-red:
The length of each string varies from 2 to 10 characters.
Since my arrays of strings won't change after the program runs, I guess I should store them both in the Flash memory through the PROGMEM, am I right?

Best

Elso

PaulS

I guess I should store them both in the Flash memory through the PROGMEM, am I right?

Yes, you are.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy