Go Down

Topic: Cubeduino - Rubik's cube-like display thing (Read 3766 times) previous topic - next topic

raron

May 23, 2010, 03:30 am Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:31 am by raron Reason: 1
markB:
It may require a second processor

I was trying to avoid that. Actually, I have avoided that :P So far at least. But I have secured me some atmega 644's, just in case. I have not yet tried to program those though. Also, I would need to make a new "mainboard" for the cube then (If I can fit it in there, as one connector is basically locked to a position and I need to design it around it).

I was wondering if you thought of scrolling the numbers around...

Which is also what it does for the text. So yes I though of that with the clock numbers too. If I make a "clock" mode that is. I might do, it's a neat idea.

I'm getting interested in making somthing similar now....
Never was much of a fan of moving displays, but this is cool.

Just be aware that this display, since it is 4 by 4 pixels on each side and also somewhat big, it's best viewed from a distance. Or on video. Up close it is sort of awkward (?) too make out the letters scrolling by, at least in the beginning. Not sure how to explain it, but it is easier from a little distance. Another thing making it even more awkward to make out the letters, is that some of them are 5 pixels tall, and borrows the top-face edge pixels.

A1:
Thank you :)
I keep finetuning the documentation, so it gets longer and longer it seems.

Also, my wife wants to know if she can buy one  

Hehe ok. I'm sorry but I don't really think I will part with it just yet, and now that I know how much work it was... Actually I'm still not quite finished with it. I hope to get an acrylic casing for it next month (thanks to mowcius here on the forum). Then I have to dismantle the hole thing, drill a few holes and put it back together.. hopefully without breaking anything.

Btw A1, you have the coolest nick! Awsome logo/profile picture too :)

mowcius

May 23, 2010, 11:28 am Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:34 am by mowcius Reason: 1
But I have secured me some atmega 644's, just in case.

The 644s are very nice with the more I/O and space :)
More than one processor would be interesting but I think if you had 2 you would just get eveyone tell you it was overkill :p

Also, my wife wants to know if she can buy one

Maybe she could buy the parts and get you to make one for her!
;D

Btw A1, you have the coolest nick! Awsome logo/profile picture too

I was going to say that too.  :D
Have you got a high res version you wouldn't mind distributing?

Mowcius  ;)

A1

Have you got a high res version you wouldn't mind distributing?

In fact I do, since I stole yours for potential future use I guess its only fair  :P

http://racetronics.blogspot.com/p/stuff-page.html

Btw A1, you have the coolest nick!

Thanks, been lurking on this forum for a while now had time to think about it  ;)

I've been telling my wife I'd love to build something for her but she still hasn't settled on anything, probably a good thing because I have too much of my own I want to do!  Maybe I'll tone it down a bit and do a 3x3 cube...

raron

Maybe I'll tone it down a bit and do a 3x3 cube...

Careful with those 3x3x3 cubes, that's how I started :P A year ago in fact (time flies and all that), I ordered some RGB LED's with that in mind. Then something short-circuited in my brain and I thought "why not make it a 4x4x4 LED cube and add a Rubik's game on it?". One order later I realised that wasn't really feasible after all. Then I spotted those Sparkfun 4 by 4 button pad's, and immediately thought about that Rubik's cube thing.

It still went some time until I begun making it though. I saw a competition on instructables.com just before november 2009, which ended november 15th I think it was. Optimistically I though I had a chance. I only broke the deadline by a month - for the build. I understood I wouldn't make it some time before of course, but since I actually progressed with this thing I continued.

And I still haven't made any LED cubes.

Btw, I snagged your image too! :) Thanks!

fashionmood

How many times have you stepped out from Christian Louboutin or Abercrombie Fitch,William Rast.

mowcius

In fact I do, since I stole yours for potential future use I guess its only fair  :P

http://racetronics.blogspot.com/p/stuff-page.html

What is that distributed under? Can it be used for anything then or are you placing restrictions on it :)

Mowcius

A1

What is that distributed under? Can it be used for anything then or are you placing restrictions on it :)

Thanks for asking, I don't mind anyone using it as long as it doesn't end up on some commercial product   ::)

Forgot I should mention something like that, it's in the note on my page now.  I thought I had the legal stuff covered at the bottom of my blog pages but I guess it doesn't cover graphics, etc!

mowcius

Thanks for asking, I don't mind anyone using it as long as it doesn't end up on some commercial product

Okey dokey :)

I made it a bit cleaner and higher res and stuck it up on my blog :)
http://duinoaday.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/more-arduino-icons/

Mowcius

raron

I don't mind anyone using it as long as it doesn't end up on some commercial product

Sorry for not asking  :-[ Anyway, I wouldn't use it on any commercial products (as I don't have any). But I figure it could be fun sticking it on some arduino thing sometime, when I finally get to box a project :)

I made it a bit cleaner and higher res and stuck it up on my blog

Nice!

raron

Instead of making a new thread, I thought I might as well continue this one..

A little update on my cube project, thanks to mowcius here. Now I finally got a nice acrylic case for it :) I took my time, but not I finally have a little writeup of it in my blog, in case anyone wants to have a look. No new video of it, mostly some pictures, except a little time-lapse video of me putting it together.

Still lacks some dome nuts and a little on the finish though. And of course, the never-ending task of improving that code... (that I'm good at procrastinating doesn't help either :P  That word sounds awful btw - "procrastinating".. sounds so negative somehow. English is not my first language though)

mowcius

I saw your blog post (subscibed to your RSS when you first put it up).

I posted some comments in error while my internet was being a pain...

I especially like the purple but that's just me. I like purple  :D

Mowcius

raron

I saw your blog post (subscibed to your RSS when you first put it up).

Ah ok. I gotta learn more about RSS... at least start using it. I've barely touched the subject.

I posted some comments in error while my internet was being a pain...

Yeah, that happens sometimes (with ISPs). No biggie. When I think about it, maybe I erased the wrong comment?

I like purple

Thanks to the sides being white (your suggestion I might add) they fit nicely with any color :)

Combined with another RGB light I have, its cool to have matching colors.

Well almost any color, except black... Works nice in the dark though. At daylight the colors are kind of hard to see (only pastel-ish/light colors then).

Go Up