Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cubeduino - Rubik's cube-like display thing  (Read 3502 times)
Norway
microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

markB:
It may require a second processor
I was trying to avoid that. Actually, I have avoided that smiley-razz So far at least. But I have secured me some atmega 644's, just in case. I have not yet tried to program those though. Also, I would need to make a new "mainboard" for the cube then (If I can fit it in there, as one connector is basically locked to a position and I need to design it around it).

I was wondering if you thought of scrolling the numbers around...
Which is also what it does for the text. So yes I though of that with the clock numbers too. If I make a "clock" mode that is. I might do, it's a neat idea.

I'm getting interested in making somthing similar now....
Never was much of a fan of moving displays, but this is cool.
Just be aware that this display, since it is 4 by 4 pixels on each side and also somewhat big, it's best viewed from a distance. Or on video. Up close it is sort of awkward (?) too make out the letters scrolling by, at least in the beginning. Not sure how to explain it, but it is easier from a little distance. Another thing making it even more awkward to make out the letters, is that some of them are 5 pixels tall, and borrows the top-face edge pixels.

A1:
Thank you smiley
I keep finetuning the documentation, so it gets longer and longer it seems.

Also, my wife wants to know if she can buy one  
Hehe ok. I'm sorry but I don't really think I will part with it just yet, and now that I know how much work it was... Actually I'm still not quite finished with it. I hope to get an acrylic casing for it next month (thanks to mowcius here on the forum). Then I have to dismantle the hole thing, drill a few holes and put it back together.. hopefully without breaking anything.

Btw A1, you have the coolest nick! Awsome logo/profile picture too smiley
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:31:20 pm by raron » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

But I have secured me some atmega 644's, just in case.
The 644s are very nice with the more I/O and space smiley
More than one processor would be interesting but I think if you had 2 you would just get eveyone tell you it was overkill :p

Also, my wife wants to know if she can buy one
Maybe she could buy the parts and get you to make one for her!
;D
Btw A1, you have the coolest nick! Awsome logo/profile picture too
I was going to say that too.  smiley-grin
Have you got a high res version you wouldn't mind distributing?

Mowcius  smiley-wink
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:34:13 am by mowcius » Logged

Stuttgart, Germany
OverclockedQuadCore Hyperthreading Arduino withMMX
View Profile

Have you got a high res version you wouldn't mind distributing?
In fact I do, since I stole yours for potential future use I guess its only fair  smiley-razz

http://racetronics.blogspot.com/p/stuff-page.html

Btw A1, you have the coolest nick!
Thanks, been lurking on this forum for a while now had time to think about it  smiley-wink

I've been telling my wife I'd love to build something for her but she still hasn't settled on anything, probably a good thing because I have too much of my own I want to do!  Maybe I'll tone it down a bit and do a 3x3 cube...

Norway
View Profile

Maybe I'll tone it down a bit and do a 3x3 cube...
Careful with those 3x3x3 cubes, that's how I started smiley-razz A year ago in fact (time flies and all that), I ordered some RGB LED's with that in mind. Then something short-circuited in my brain and I thought "why not make it a 4x4x4 LED cube and add a Rubik's game on it?". One order later I realised that wasn't really feasible after all. Then I spotted those Sparkfun 4 by 4 button pad's, and immediately thought about that Rubik's cube thing.

It still went some time until I begun making it though. I saw a competition on instructables.com just before november 2009, which ended november 15th I think it was. Optimistically I though I had a chance. I only broke the deadline by a month - for the build. I understood I wouldn't make it some time before of course, but since I actually progressed with this thing I continued.

And I still haven't made any LED cubes.

Btw, I snagged your image too! smiley Thanks!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

How many times have you stepped out from Christian Louboutin or Abercrombie Fitch,William Rast.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

In fact I do, since I stole yours for potential future use I guess its only fair  smiley-razz

http://racetronics.blogspot.com/p/stuff-page.html

What is that distributed under? Can it be used for anything then or are you placing restrictions on it smiley

Mowcius

Stuttgart, Germany
OverclockedQuadCore Hyperthreading Arduino withMMX
View Profile

What is that distributed under? Can it be used for anything then or are you placing restrictions on it smiley
Thanks for asking, I don't mind anyone using it as long as it doesn't end up on some commercial product   :smiley

Forgot I should mention something like that, it's in the note on my page now.  I thought I had the legal stuff covered at the bottom of my blog pages but I guess it doesn't cover graphics, etc!

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Thanks for asking, I don't mind anyone using it as long as it doesn't end up on some commercial product
Okey dokey smiley

I made it a bit cleaner and higher res and stuck it up on my blog smiley
http://duinoaday.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/more-arduino-icons/

Mowcius

Norway
View Profile

I don't mind anyone using it as long as it doesn't end up on some commercial product
Sorry for not asking  :-[ Anyway, I wouldn't use it on any commercial products (as I don't have any). But I figure it could be fun sticking it on some arduino thing sometime, when I finally get to box a project smiley

I made it a bit cleaner and higher res and stuck it up on my blog
Nice!

Norway
View Profile

Instead of making a new thread, I thought I might as well continue this one..

A little update on my cube project, thanks to mowcius here. Now I finally got a nice acrylic case for it smiley I took my time, but not I finally have a little writeup of it in my blog, in case anyone wants to have a look. No new video of it, mostly some pictures, except a little time-lapse video of me putting it together.

Still lacks some dome nuts and a little on the finish though. And of course, the never-ending task of improving that code... (that I'm good at procrastinating doesn't help either smiley-razz  That word sounds awful btw - "procrastinating".. sounds so negative somehow. English is not my first language though)

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I saw your blog post (subscibed to your RSS when you first put it up).

I posted some comments in error while my internet was being a pain...

I especially like the purple but that's just me. I like purple  smiley-grin

Mowcius

Norway
View Profile

I saw your blog post (subscibed to your RSS when you first put it up).
Ah ok. I gotta learn more about RSS... at least start using it. I've barely touched the subject.

I posted some comments in error while my internet was being a pain...
Yeah, that happens sometimes (with ISPs). No biggie. When I think about it, maybe I erased the wrong comment?

I like purple
Thanks to the sides being white (your suggestion I might add) they fit nicely with any color smiley

Combined with another RGB light I have, its cool to have matching colors.

Well almost any color, except black... Works nice in the dark though. At daylight the colors are kind of hard to see (only pastel-ish/light colors then).

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: