Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Alphanumeric Laser Projector  (Read 9559 times)
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Now who's missing words?

I have an excuse - I'm old, remember (because I don't!)...

;D

Arduino and unicycling will keep me young

Or at least weird. Weird is good, tho...

smiley-wink

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Or at least weird. Weird is good, tho...
Weird keeps you interesting  smiley-grin

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

pretty cool.

Makes me want to see what a laser laser motor out of a printer could do if I kew how to wire the rest of it up.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

"know" sorry, memory hole. I'm not a fast reader either. I ctrl+f on web pages to help me "read". I don't know if that is same as reading. I'm starting a CPU collection and hope to turn it into a museum in 30 years. smiley

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Just be on the careful side of the street, some lasers are not meant to be taken out of their enclosures without harming people's eye sigts (you can't see their infrared emissions, which could be strong). I suggest a laser pointer for starters, safer.

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

An ifrared one would not be much fun. there would not be much point if you could not see it smiley. I would just get a low power red one or something to play with that you can see. No point in going blind playing with your hobby.

The motor would be fun to tinker with though.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I could turn up the laser in my spirograph to burn but then why?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Spirograph puzzle pieces? Spirograph engravings?

I was just doing some ebay research on LED laser modules and diodes; you can apparently get a 1 watt red diode fairly cheaply - other people sell driver boards.

I have a home a pre-ban >100mw (I can't remember the exact wattage) green laser pointer, and I know it can burn your skin (if held to it).

I also found a 12 watt TEC cooled laser module (fiber optic coupled) - I am wondering if something like that could be turned into a laser cutter, once mounted on an X/Y/Z table.

I need another project like I need a hole in the head (maybe a laser would help?)...

;D

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Darlington, UK
Shaamo
View Profile

maybe a laser would help?

Of course it would... what you could do though, if it helps, is to combine multiple projects into one, that way you are reducing the amount of projects you have to increase your project working capacity  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:38:42 pm by Funky_Diver » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Of course it would... what you could do though, if it helps, is to combine multiple projects into one, that way you are reducing the amount of projects you have to increase your project working capacity

Well, that's already happened with my long-in-the-tooth robotic project; the laser pointer was obtained for it (LIDAR) - it actually seems like it is too powerful for the purpose though. At a later point in the project I intend to add an augmented reality system for control/monitoring (another project I wanted to do). There's ideas for artificial intelligence and machine learning. 3D modelling and graphics, too (ie, robot simulation for navigation/training purposes).

If summer would just go away, I could probably get on with it all!

smiley

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

maybe a laser would help?
Mowcius has lots of lasers but lacks inspiration for a laser based project currently.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The video looks awesome.

Rhode Island, USA
What can't be done with an Arduino?
View Profile

liudr:
what is the transparent glue stuff

mowcius is correct, just plain old hot glue. I love the stuff, use it on everything. In fact, it was the key to aligning the mirrors. While it was soft, I spun the motor and centripetal force pulled the mirror into alignment. I then maintained speed until the glue cooled and hardened. The stuff is great. I suggest you also get yourself a butane micro-torch. It's always nice to be able to reheat.

cr0sh:
I would go about setting up the mirror wheel in a much more complex manner

Cr0sh, I really do like the sound of your design. It would certainly offer a lot of benefits over mine. However, mine design very well met my needs. My primary concern was my severely limited attention span. To cope, I always aim for the quick and dirty solutions because anything else and I risk losing interest in the project before it is completed. smiley

cr0sh:
I also found a 12 watt TEC cooled laser module (fiber optic coupled) - I am wondering if something like that could be turned into a laser cutter, once mounted on an X/Y/Z table.
It's funny that you would go there. A previous project of mine, which I abandoned because of lose of interest smiley-sad, was an Arduino controlled multi-purpose X-Y table. My plan was to have swappable heads, one being a burning/cutting laser. I finished building the table, complete with stepper motors and Arduino control, and I was in the programming phase when I put it on hold. I was considering returning to it soon.

chris mitchell
cr0sh:
Spirograph puzzle pieces? Spirograph engravings?

As awesome as that sounds, I doubt Chris's Blu-Ray laser could burn at those speeds. But increased power increases visibility. A problem with my projector is the output limits me to use in dim lighting only.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

It's funny that you would go there. A previous project of mine, which I abandoned because of lose of interest , was an Arduino controlled multi-purpose X-Y table. My plan was to have swappable heads, one being a burning/cutting laser. I finished building the table, complete with stepper motors and Arduino control, and I was in the programming phase when I put it on hold. I was considering returning to it soon.

After some research and some bidding, I quickly realized that the module wasn't worth my time right now; I have too many other projects in the way, unfortunately.

The module was nice, though (I also found another that was 40 watts). Based on a datasheet I found on Coherent's site (it was a Coherent module), you apparently need to drive the module with something like 20-30 amps at less than 2 volts; SAMs laser FAQ didn't talk much about such higher-power lasers and how to power them properly (it was also an 800nm laser - so UV).

I bid both modules up to around $50.00 each (when you add in shipping); I don't know where the winning bidder's high point is at, but likely up higher, maybe much higher if some of the "buy-it-now" prices are figured in on it.

The problem is the power-supply, though; its got to be high current, and controlled, at a low voltage - then you have the heat-sinking needed for the module; oh, and then you have to figure out how to get a multi-modal fiber connection made (or some other method); none of this stuff is cheap with these high-power lasers. Its a project that I am not ready to take on yet (time or money).

It was fun to dabble, though (I thought maybe I could get a module cheap, then store it for a later day)...

smiley

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I spun the motor and centripetal force pulled the mirror into alignment.
You mean the mirror moves slightly outward due to the rotation? That's a centrifugal force viewed from the mirror's rotational reference frame. ;D

Thanks for sharing your trick.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:31:57 pm by liuzengqiang » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: