Go Down

Topic: Recommendation needed, 12-16 channels 12-bit SPI interface ADC (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Vitor2

I'm looking for an ADC with a mininum of:
12 channels or two 8 channels
12-bit resolution
SPI communication, I2C may do; however, I'm already using SPI for the data logger.
Capable of reading 5V
Speed is not very important
DIP preferred but not a big deal

Have you used something along these lines? What would you recommend?

CrossRoads

Yes I have - in fact just designed an  8-channel SPI ADC onto a PIC based board so it could have Analog in like an ATMega.
Will look up the part number when I get home in few hours.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

glasspusher

It's only 8 channels, but 16 bit (14 at high speeds) Max1168...QSOP package, but you can get a dip converter. I've just started hooking one up and started talking to it last night.

CrossRoads

Analog Devices asks: "Why do more engineers choose ADI data converters over the next 8 suppliers combined?"

'Cause they make great parts like this!
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD5590.pdf

Flexible serial interface SPI-/QSPI-/MICROWIRE-/DSP-compatible

Input Channels
12-bit successive approximation ADC
16 inputs with sequencer
Fast throughput rate: 1 MSPS
Wide input bandwidth: 70 dB SNR at fIN = 50 kHz

and! :

Output channels
16 outputs with 12-bit DACs
On-chip 2.5 V reference
Hardware LDAC and LDAC override function
Rail-to-rail operation
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Vitor2

Thank you.
Interesting, I came across a MAXIM MAX1238 Evaluation Kit 12bit 12 Channel ADC yesterday on eBay and I purchased it.
I will be testing it and see how it works, the nice thing is that th evaluation board has built in resistors and capacitors, it looks like a low pass filter at each input, which will help me with a problem I'm having with too much electric noise in the readings I'm taking.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy