Go Down

Topic: Im learning PIC, dont kill me (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

The actual technical advantages of Arduino are actually amazing small, considering the massive improvement in usability that they seem to produce.  Worth getting philosophical about, since if you can figure out how to do it over and over again, you can probably get rich and solve all the worlds problems at the same time!

retrolefty

Worth getting philosophical about, since if you can figure out how to do it over and over again, you can probably get rich and solve all the worlds problems at the same time!

Heck yea, maybe we should get the Arduino team to help the US congress on a health care bill.  ;D

Lefty

knuckles904

Ive actually used arduino for a while now, and have three boards "sorta." I really enjoy the ease of making simple programs because of the hardware abstraction, and that seems hard to come by on the PICs im using. I did finally manage to get a decent C compiler I like and now my project is on track for the big Vday. After delving in tho, I do see a lot of value to going further than arduino, and am glad to have to sparingly modify registers directly.

Ran Talbott

maybe we should get the Arduino team to help the US congress on a health care bill.

Yeah,  right:  then we'll be invaded by a wave of tea-party types,  flooding the board with GIFs of "Palin 2012" campaign posters,  and demanding that the use of Arduinos be banned in U.S. schools because it's open-source,  and a stalking horse for "European soshulism" [sic]

Ran Talbott

There is no definitive reason that an arduino-like system couldn't be build around a PIC instead of an AVR.

Depends on the PIC:  the low-end ones are completely unsuitable to an Arduino-style environment,  because the hardware can't support C (much less C++) well.  Maybe some of the more "upscale" ones can,  but I've only worked with the 16Cxx range,  so I don't know much about their architecture.

Is there a "sub-family" of PICs that offers the fairly-orthogonal expandibility of the ATMegas?  

Go Up