Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to estimate number of hours remaining before battery dies?  (Read 1840 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Predicting "remaining life" is difficult.

OTOH knowing when it's "nearly dead" isn't. Most batteries go down to about 1.1V then drop off very quickly (think "cliff").

Indeed - any you need to know the actual chemistry of the battery involved, AA cells might be Zinc/carbon, alkaline,
NiMH or even NiCd or NiZn!  Unless you know the chemistry you can't know which voltage represents the death-knell
of the cell.  For NiCd for instance its such a flat curve that in practice you can't tell, fortunately with NiMH you can
fairly well.
  So you probably need to decide on a single type of cell to get a reasonably reliable indication.

It's been my experience that Nicad and MiMH have very similar flat discharge curves where the terminal voltage does not give you a good indication of remaining charge until it's almost at the end.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/performance.htm

Lefty

W9LZ
View Profile

Remember all those milliamps are in relation to milliamp hours. So, the 1 ma timer draw = approximately 25 ma in a day. The 50 ma draw is only happening 40 seconds out of an 86,400 second day. A 2500 ma battery will last least a month.  Your mileage may vary!

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

So, the 1 ma timer draw = approximately 25 ma in a day.

You mean....

25mA hours

The Elders of the Internet know who I am
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

W9LZ
View Profile

Ya got me!

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

So, the 1 ma timer draw = approximately 25 ma in a day.

You mean....

25mA hours

In Australia, it would be 24 hours in the day. YMMV.

http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Please post technical questions on the forum - not to me by personal message. Thanks a lot.

Earth
Edison Member
My browser no longer is binding static IP, Floating is the way to go.
View Profile

Hi guys,

I am doing a battery life indicator for a device. A red led will light up when the voltage reaches below a certain limit, which is at least 2 days before the AA battery fully dies.

As such, I want to know how to determine the number of days left before a AA battery dies. I have attached the datasheet for a AA battery but it only shows the constant current performance chart. My device draws around 50ma current for about 10seconds, 4 times a day, when a motor rotates. And all along, it draws a current (ard 1ma I think) when it runs a timer.

So, how can I determine the voltage when the battery is abt 48hours before "dying"?

you need battery monitor IC which support Battery Fuel Gauge/Gas Gauge.

one sample from ST;-
STC3105

make sure select IC type match with battery type.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: