Go Down

Topic: Arduino 1.0 IDE Compatibility with previous versions (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

HotSeat

I only started Arduino 1 week ago, and what a nightmare!
I was about to go back to Labview and direct programming of microcontrollers, until I found this thread.

Nothing with libaries would compile, the help files where no help at all, because they refered to a Wprogram.h that I couldn't find anywhere.

I have downloaded 023, and I am willing to try Arduino again, because for small tasks/ prototyping, it makes programming so easy (now that it will compile).

I've been developing software / hardware for 20+ years now, and I must say, this 1.0 is a real flop guys, sorry :(

kaor

Jan 03, 2012, 06:06 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012, 06:19 pm by kaor Reason: 1

You're wrong kaor. Why don't you RTFM?
ยท Renamed WProgram.h to Arduino.h.

* The WProgram.h file, which provides declarations for the Arduino API,
 has been renamed to Arduino.h. To create a library that will work in
 both Arduino 0022 and Arduino 1.0, you can use an #ifdef that checks
 for the ARDUINO constant, which was 22 and is now 100.  For example:

#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
 #include "Arduino.h"
 #else
 #include "WProgram.h"
 #endif

I doubt you don't understand my goal, just quoted the code :))
this code is supposed to be inserted in project not in library, therefore old projects should be modified and that isn't the best way imho :)
There are many libraries that hasn't been updated (most of them!)
?????? ?????? ?????, ??? ??? - ??????????!

jomo

I've been reading this highly interesting thread because I've been experiencing the same problems as everybody since I switched to IDE 1.0.
Does seem a shame to excessivly bad programmers like myself to have to dig into library fixing tasks when we just want to get our projects up and running. Even worse - from what I read, it sounds like the future versions of the IDE might be paying versions? What a nightmare!
I've been using Arduino for 3 years and really enjoy the whole "easy to use" philosophy - I'd given up on microcontrollers after some heroic efforts on the 87C752/752 family in assembler a few years ago...
I like the look and feel of the 1.0 IDE but I think I'll stick to 0023 untill things settle down a bit.
Keep up the good work!
And thaks for all your valuable input for people like myself :)

Osgeld

I always linger a few versions behind, but I really struggle with "movin on up" to 1.0, just recently I had linux mint 10 installed on my bench machine, which lost support as of this month. It is a older release and thus even older packages, I was running arduino v.18.

I was working on a project using TV out library, which makes things pretty tight in the ram department, with the old .18 which I actually like the best I had 333 bytes of ram free. Then I upgraded linux to xbuntu, apt-get arduino got the .22 version ... ok whatever theres some handy things there, bam 220 bytes free.

I have 1.0 installed on my main / windows desktop for when I need to test some code when trolling the forums so I plopped my project into that, uploaded and bam 186 bytes free.

So while I am stressing to pinch bytes to ensure I have enough for my project + a little wiggle room, the newer software packages are eating more room for zero gain (not to mention the hex files increased significantly each time as well), which really puts me into a rush to get the bleeding edge ...

Hell I am seriously contemplating rolling back to .17 or .18, though I might have to fix a couple things here and there, why not? Sounds like I am going to have to anyway, might as well save ram and program space while I am at it.

retrolefty

I've been reading this highly interesting thread because I've been experiencing the same problems as everybody since I switched to IDE 1.0.
Does seem a shame to excessivly bad programmers like myself to have to dig into library fixing tasks when we just want to get our projects up and running. Even worse - from what I read, it sounds like the future versions of the IDE might be paying versions? What a nightmare!
I've been using Arduino for 3 years and really enjoy the whole "easy to use" philosophy - I'd given up on microcontrollers after some heroic efforts on the 87C752/752 family in assembler a few years ago...
I like the look and feel of the 1.0 IDE but I think I'll stick to 0023 untill things settle down a bit.
Keep up the good work!
And thaks for all your valuable input for people like myself :)

It's not just a one or the other version choice, as actually the best solution is have both v23 and v1.0 installed on your PC.

Lefty

Go Up