Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: IDE Screenshot comparison  (Read 1252 times)
SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This was sort of fun.  Arduino has a (deserved) reputation for being an Easy-to-Use IDE.  And yet, most vendors will claim that their IDEs are easy.  In this photo set, I threw up screenshots of nine different IDEs that I have or could easily get, each with a "simple" example project loaded (usually some form of blinking LED.)  Have fun comparing them!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58843278@N00/sets/72157628354203683/detail/

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

What if you have a complex project? Which IDE will fair better?

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

North Queensland, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

This is exactly why I have downloaded the eclipse IDE.

All I need is a project explorer so I can select which tabs are active, rather than having to use a drop down menu as the tabs just run off the screen.

Also the 1.0 update to the colour scheme made the tab readability decrease on my screen.

Apart from that the Arduino IDE has been great due to its simplicity.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:54:54 am by pYro_65 » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

I dunno.  I've always done complex projects via command line tools.   My general impression is that as complexity increases, it becomes increasingly impractical to have everything you need on the screen, anyway.  Especially if you're trying to tile all the little windows.

Newport, Wales
Please let the magic smoke stay inside the chip today
View Profile

I like having a quick peek at what else is out there every now and then.
While I have little or no interest in ever running some of these, it is nice to see what the "other side" looks like.

Personally, I tend to use a mix of gedit/vi/arduino ide on linux and as long as I can edit the test, Im not really that fussy as per what I use.
From a beginners point of view, I can certainly appreciate that the ardiuno interface is nice and clean, without too many confusing options.

Thanks for sharing!

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I dunno.  I've always done complex projects via command line tools.   My general impression is that as complexity increases, it becomes increasingly impractical to have everything you need on the screen, anyway.  Especially if you're trying to tile all the little windows.

This is why multi-head video cards were developed - if you don't have enough screen space, you need more resolution and/or more screens. I've got two monitors (side-by-side 22 inch LCDs - one with a portrait mode stand) on my current workstation here at home, but personally (if I had the space) I would love to have a triple-head system, with the main screen being a 42" LCD with the side screens being portrait-mode 22 inch LCDs; I just don't have the desktop room (but I might get another 22 inch; I do have room for a third one of those).

I've found that have multiple monitors, coupled with virtual desktops, to be invaluable when coding (admittedly, more so for web development; you can have one screen with your IDE and/or FTP session, and the other with your browser(s) - mod, push, test, ad-infintum).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

This is why multi-head video cards were developed
Well, no.  Being able to DISPLAY lots of information at one time does not make my brain any more capable of PROCESSING all of that information.  The "guideline" for menus and such used to be 7 +/- 2 items to match up with psychologic studies of the size of short-term memory.  That might not be a great guideline, but I think the 50-odd buttons and 11 drop-down menus of AVRStudio is a bit much.

(not that everyone is likely to process data in the same way, anyway...)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: