Dagu Rover 5 chassis robot demo

Nick,

I have the same setup as you to in this tutorial, but i cannot get the bot to move for more than .5 seconds per direction. I havent changed any code at all and double checked the wiring.

Also in the code, to a novice, it appears you are using pins 8 and 9 as pin A & B respectively, but in the diagram they are not hooked up.. Could you please explain that to me.

Thanks!

Pins 8 and 9 were for the rotary encoders which I didn't use in the end, although the article talked about them.

It stops after about a second if it doesn't get another message from the remote, so it sounds like the connection might be flaky.

You could change this:

const unsigned long TIME_BEFORE_WE_GIVE_UP = 1000;  // ms

Where 1000 mS is 1 second. But you probably need to work out the underlying problem. Do you have an aerial at all? I stuck a short bit of wire in to help with that.

Also for the interrupt 0 assignment, that doesnt seem to be hooked up either,. Sorry I am rather new at this.

To clarify, my rover is going thru the fwd, left, backwards, right sequence but it is only moving for like .25 to .5 a sec before changing to the next direction in the list.

Oh I thought you were referring to this:

The forum is incredibly slow right now, it's taking 5 minutes for a page to load, so please bear with me.

Here, in the code on page 1 of this thread:

delay (500);

}  // end of loop

So it changes direction every 1/2 a second. Change that to a bigger figure if you want.

The forum is incredibly slow right now, it's taking 5 minutes for a page to load, so please bear with me.....

Your not alone, the site is sooo slow lately. Whats goin on? ... Wait don't answer that. I will start my own thread to hijack.

Might I ask what the delay is in there for? It was my understanding the objective of the code was for it to fw/backward for 10 sec and turn for 1.2 sec.

Thank you for your patience with answering my questions.

EDIT** I am assuming that is the delay between direction changes?

By the way, I changed that value to 2 seconds, and it pulses in a direction for about .5 seconds then waits 2 seconds before changing directions to pulse again. I will try to get a vid.

thanks.

Er, maybe I was wrong. My mind is still seething over the lengthy delays trying to ban spammers on the forum. :wink:

This code here:

// check current drain
  while (millis () - start < time_to_go)
    {
    if (analogRead (0) > 325)  // > 1.46 amps
      break;    
    }

That makes it stop if the current drain exceeds 1.46 amps. You might want to tweak that a bit. Perhaps your motors are drawing more than mine did. So if you make it higher, it will draw more current before stopping.

I am assuming that is the delay between direction changes?

Yes.

So far, I have to crank up that current drain value beyond 600, and even still, it will cut out when going in half the directions.. :~

Is there something potentially very wrong with my setup to cause that?

Hard to say. Try commenting out the check, and testing. Be ready to hit the power switch if things start smoking. :slight_smile:

hi, dagu photo.png, could you please tell me why you need power from arduino board icsp?

and why don't you use the jumpers of motors on the chassis?

thanks

tigerdorr:
hi, dagu photo.png, could you please tell me why you need power from arduino board icsp?

Those two wires (red and black) are just +5V and Gnd, which were available on the ICSP pins. Since they are pins on both ends it was easy to wire-wrap them.

tigerdorr:
and why don't you use the jumpers of motors on the chassis?

What jumpers are you referring to?

hi, thanks your reply.

abt q1, can i get V5 from other pin of arduino board?
it's hard to find f/f jumper wire, where did you get it?

q2, i saw about 5-6 female pin jumper out of the chassis motor, where there should be connected to?

tigerdorr:
abt q1, can i get V5 from other pin of arduino board?

Yes, wherever you want to.

it's hard to find f/f jumper wire, where did you get it?

q2, i saw about 5-6 female pin jumper out of the chassis motor, where there should be connected to?

4 wires are the encoder on the motor, the other 2 drive the motor. See close-up photo:

Of course there is another set for the other wheel.

The red and black wire you see going across the board is just for the voltage readout I stuck on the front, so I could see when the LiPo battery was going flat:

hi my rover works now, thanks a lot

and in Arduino_forum_779785.jpg

why the jumpers come from rover motor are single but the heads on controller board are two rows.

Do you mean the encoder?

The first row (where I have the wires) are from the encoder on the motor. The other row is for connecting to the Arduino (eg. to an interrupt pin). I wasn't using that personally so you could omit them, ignore them, or tape them up somewhere.

I think the circuit just "ors" the two encoder outputs together so you can have a single interrupt pin (labelled INT on the board) which you connect to an interrupt (eg. D2/ D3) and then to see which way it is turning (if you care about that) connect ENC1 and ENC2 to some other pins.

I didn't care about the encoder as I was driving "visually", so I didn't need it to know exactly how much the wheels had turned.

i am trying to connect a push sensor or a IR sensor on the rover. so it can avoid the obstacles.

do you know where i can find some example codes?

I got mine here:

http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/554

I don't know if they have replacement tracks ... you could ask.

Mine tend to slip off, and I find it impossible to adjust the track height. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

No idea, sorry.

I just got my Rover 5 and had pulled the retaining bracket (metal L-brac with two screws inside the chassis) to pull the appendage out to set the height. I think it was an EE solution to a ME problem :wink: Unfortunately, if you have track slippage with the low profile mode, adjusting the height up will make it worse.

I have a composite eye (lots of IR) coming in next week to see how the Dagu demo will work. The DFR Romeo will be interesting in running the R5 Motor/Encoder Board (4motors/4encoders), (2) servos and (6) tactile buttons. I think there might be a 74HC595 chip and a dev board in there.

Thanks to Nick for opening this thread. I look forward to any further developments to this platform.

-George