Go Down

Topic: OptiloaderBoard (Read 756 times) previous topic - next topic

Jan 07, 2013, 10:22 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013, 10:32 pm by garnienicht Reason: 1
it just happened that i have blown up some ATMega328s on a Breadboard due to too high Voltage on the Input. Shame on me!
Looking over the mess, i recognized that one of the ATMega was still sort of working, but i have  destroyed digitalPin 0 (RX)...

Well, i have needed some new 328 with Bootloader, so i decided to build a Board around the "non-RX-Pin-328", dedicated to "burn" the Optiloader Bootloader to factory-new ATMega328s. Not that i would need it every day (hopefully  ;)), but just for fun. It is based on the OptiLoader sketch which can be found here: https://github.com/WestfW/OptiLoader

the PCB has the dimensoins of an Arduino-PCB, but ist neither a Arduino-Clone nor a Shield.
It supports 5V Power Supply via USB-B or a USB2SERIAL compatible FTDI-Style 6pin header, which also allows Serial communication for monitoring.
If you solder in C1, the autoReset functionality for the 6pin header is enabled, which would even allow to upload a sketch to the Master ATMega via USB2SERIAL.
To support feedback during the progress without Serial Communication, i have added a Power-ON statusLED for the Master ant the Target, a ERROR-LED and one for each function called in the loop() of the OptiLoadersketch.
I have soldered a basic 28pin socket for the Target ATMega on my PCB, but there shoud be enough space to use a 28pin ZIF Socket ;).

If anyone is interested, i have attached the Eagle files. Feel free to use it, reproduce it or modify it, but it would be great if you leave some feedback ;)

The Optiloader sketch needs to be a little bit modified inside the setup() and loop() in order to control the LEDs to something like the following:
Code: [Select]
void setup () {
 Serial.begin(19200); /* Initialize serial for status msgs */
 pinMode(13, OUTPUT); /* Blink the pin13 LED a few times */
 pulse(13,20);
 pinMode(A0, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(A1, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(A2, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(A3, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(A4, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(A5, OUTPUT);
}

void loop (void) {
 boolean error = false;
 fp("\nOptiLoader Bootstrap programmer.\n2011 by Bill Westfield (WestfW)\n\n");
 if (target_poweron()) { /* Turn on target power */
   do {
    if (!target_identify()){ /* Figure out what kind of CPU */
      error = true;
      break;
    } else digitalWrite(A5, HIGH);
    if (!target_findimage()){ /* look for an image */
      error = true;
      break;
    } else digitalWrite(A4, HIGH);
    if (!target_progfuses()){ /* get fuses ready to program */
      error = true;
      break;
    } else digitalWrite(A3, HIGH);
    if (!target_program()){ /* Program the image */
      error = true;
      break;
    } else digitalWrite(A2, HIGH);
     (void) target_normfuses(); /* reset fuses to normal mode */
     digitalWrite(A1, HIGH);
  }
  while (0);
 }
 else {
  error = true;
  Serial.println();
 }
target_poweroff(); /* turn power off */

digitalWrite(A0, error);

fp ("\nType 'G' or hit RESET for next chip\n")
   while (1) {
     if (Serial.read() == 'G'){
       digitalWrite(A5, LOW);
       digitalWrite(A4, LOW);
       digitalWrite(A3, LOW);
       digitalWrite(A2, LOW);
       digitalWrite(A1, LOW);
       digitalWrite(A0, LOW);
       break;
     }
   }
}

i know, the Hardware could be optimized. A polyfuse to protect the USB port would be nice. I think it would be not that bad to power the target 328 throug a transistor istead of the Master digital Pin 9, and the next time i would etch the PCB with bigger Pads for the Resistors , LEDs and Capacitors...  :smiley-roll-blue:
but after all... it is working!  8)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy