Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ethernet Shield troubles  (Read 4423 times)
Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've now tested this thing on multiple networks and even tried crossover cables direct to my laptop. Even sniffed the traffic and absolutely nothing comes out of the Ethernet Shield when attempting DHCP so I'm thinking its a bum unit. Guess I'll swap it out at RS.

So is the ethernet shield going back to radio shack? The below may explain the 0.0.0.0 issue using the 1.0 IDE.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,52664.msg628004.html#msg628004

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

So is the ethernet shield going back to radio shack? The below may explain the 0.0.0.0 issue using the 1.0 IDE.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,52664.msg628004.html#msg628004

Nope. Works fine now that I grokked that the Ethernet Shield isn't really a shield at all and uses the ICSP connector for SPI communication.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ethernet Shield isn't really a shield at all and uses the ICSP connector for SPI communication

Well , it totally had me fooled. Glad you busted radioshack on their scam!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12272878

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Ethernet Shield isn't really a shield at all and uses the ICSP connector for SPI communication

Well , it totally had me fooled. Glad you busted radioshack on their scam!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12272878
Did I miss something? The Radio Shack ethernet shield works just like the Arduino ethernet shield. Both use the ICSP connector. Any shield that wants to use the SPI and maintain compatibility with the Mega series must use that.

View Profile

Did I miss something?

Just zoomkat's failed attempt at humor. Thanks again for the help SurferTim.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Did I miss something?

My pleasure!  smiley

Like I said in another post, this shield pin setup is relative to the advent of the Mega. Pre-Mega, pins 10-13 were used. Some older ethernet shields do not have the ICSP connector. That is important if you own a Mega and considering an ethernet shield. For ease of use, get one with the w5100 ethernet IC and the 6 pin ICSP connector (2x3) in the center rear of the shield. That is normally the giveaway on Mega compatibility.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Did I miss something?

I think it is funny that it was radio shacks fault for you apparently trying to use misatched parts. RS sells a mega and ethernet shield that apparently work together.  smiley

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

I think it is funny that it was radio shacks fault for you apparently trying to use misatched parts. RS sells a mega and ethernet shield that apparently work together.  smiley
Hi zoomkat! They do. My local Radio Shack is an Arduino dealer. The shield should work fine for both the Uno and the Mega they sell.

I see your point. The boards the OP is using were not meant to plug directly into each other. But that has never stopped me.  smiley-grin

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I see your point. The boards the OP is using were not meant to plug directly into each other. But that has never stopped me.

I think it points up the fact that in the near future trouble shooting will require very clear statements on the specific boards being used, the IDE being used, and the code, due to all the changes. I looked on ebay last night for ethernet shields, and didn't see any like the old wiznet I have. They seem to all be the new UNO/Mega compatable units (wiznet for ~$22 shipped, not bad!), but they didn't seem the have the POE option of the Radio Shack one.

View Profile

I see your point. The boards the OP is using were not meant to plug directly into each other. But that has never stopped me.

I think it points up the fact that in the near future trouble shooting will require very clear statements on the specific boards being used, the IDE being used, and the code, due to all the changes. I looked on ebay last night for ethernet shields, and didn't see any like the old wiznet I have. They seem to all be the new UNO/Mega compatable units (wiznet for ~$22 shipped, not bad!), but they didn't seem the have the POE option of the Radio Shack one.

The problem zoomkat, is you failed to fully read my OP. All that information was provided. And, as I stated, the Wicked Devices proto shield converts the BoArduino to "standard" arduino pinouts. I've used it successfully for other shields in the past. The vast majority of the published knowledge out on the Internet refers to the earlier Ethernet shields which do use "standard" SPI pins 10-13. This, combined with the fact I completely missed the ICSP header comment here http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield until SurferTim mentioned it is what tripped me up.

While I agree the ICSP is a clever way to achieve UNO and Mega compatibility, it's still an ugly hack that will likely trip up other arduino clone users (at least two of us here in less than a week). Hence my "not really a shield comment" as only a single "standard" pin is being used for SS. And to be honest, SS could have (should have?) been picked up off the ICSP header too. It's precisely weird design choices like this that drive my preference towards working with Atmel micros directly, or more recently, this BoArduino from Adafruit.

So why did I buy the Ethernet Shield? Well, that was in the OP too.  smiley-razz I hadn't stepped into a Radio Shack since they closed down the TechAmerica stores (which were an electronic hobbyists dream). With RS seeming to once again embrace their hobbyist roots by carrying products like Arduino, I wanted to encourage them with my wallet. Finally, I never once in this thread blamed RS for my issue. That again, is purely a comprehension deficiency on your part zoomkat.

Cheers.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Don't be too harsh on zoomkat. I like him. He volunteers much more information that he is paid for. smiley

There is word for what is happening: evolution.

The only constant is change.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

That again, is purely a comprehension deficiency on your part zoomkat.

Looks like to me you blamed RS for selling bad equipment when the problem actually existed in your jumbled up DIY project. The RS apparently works as designed. Just man up to that fact and move on.   smiley

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

"Later that night, Swami Rama, well-known Hindu guru, was expected to lead chanting in the main hall. Although the man was known to voluntarily control non-voluntary bodily processes, he couldn’t control everything. He was late."

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

"Later that night, Swami Rama, well-known Hindu guru, was expected to lead chanting in the main hall. Although the man was known to voluntarily control non-voluntary bodily processes, he couldn’t control everything. He was late."
I think that is partly why I like you. LoL.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: