Go Down

Topic: New arduino website (Read 8042 times) previous topic - next topic

TchnclFl

It seems to me that Mowcius is volunteering to help keep it up-to-date, but will need help as well.

It also provides a nice, organized way to list current / past / future Arduino projects, a future store to buy Arduino stuff, to state a few.

admin

that could be done on the playground for the benefit of everybody

Osgeld

dunno, I cant read the playground on my bench machine, so I have to duplicate it anyway so its not in a 6 point light gray font on white

this would save me effort
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

TchnclFl

I agree that it could be done on the playground, but as "for the benefit of everyone", is this not publicly accessible?  Sure, it may not be as well known as http://arduino.cc, but with any luck, it'll be high up there :).  I've never seen another Arduino-pointed website (that's not just a store) besides freeduino.org (and I'm sure that people will provide tons of links), so I think a little friendly "competition" can't hurt. ;D

BTW:  Not trying to sound argumentative or anything, I just support the idea of a new Arduino "fan site"! ;D

Catcher

I'm trying not to sound negative, but why will people keep your site up to date if they won't do it for the arduino.cc Playground or freeduino.org?

okay, then tomorrow when i try and help find more links or guides...
I will get:
Insufficient privileges to perform action.

There's an improve the playground wiki topic, do you want us to post a new organized, up-to-date form and info on that thread? Want us to make an html page and send it to you? I'm willing to help ::) .

The Arduino wiki should be editable and embedable onto sites.

mowcius

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Yes in a way it is a slight duplication of things but as was also stated, I think a bit of competition can't be a bad thing. As was also said, the playground seems difficult to edit and I feel that the arduino.cc site is slightly biased towards 'arduino' not surprisingly and my site will not be... I think that nobody really tries to update freeduino due to it looking so terrible, has an awful way of organising things and it is not really trying to do enough...

I will be trying to keep my site up to date but obviously there will be errors, a simple contact form will be available for people to send those issues and if anyone wants to do something more major to help then that can be sorted out as well.

I just support the idea of a new Arduino "fan site"!

Thanks.

The whole point of this site is to be for the benifit of everybody so it will be easily accessible and hopefully quickly become well known.

Mowcius

TchnclFl

I think that nobody really tries to update freeduino due to it looking so terrible, has an awful way of organising things and it is not really trying to do enough...

I was thinking the same thing.  It's very poorly laid out, I mean, if someone doesn't know exactly what they're looking for, how could you find anything?  Plus then there's the fact that it takes about 30 screens to scroll to the Zs ;D!

mowcius

I was thinking the same thing.  It's very poorly laid out, I mean, if someone doesn't know exactly what they're looking for, how could you find anything?  Plus then there's the fact that it takes about 30 screens to scroll to the Zs !

Well my website has alphabetical links to take you down to the Zs and it also loads as fast as anything! I can load it up on my phone almost as fast as on my desktop!

Mowcius

jezuz

That issue with alphabetical listing can be cured by adding a list of letters at the top of the page so you can skip to any letter without having to scroll down to it.

mowcius

That issue with alphabetical listing can be cured by adding a list of letters at the top of the page so you can skip to any letter without having to scroll down to it.

Yep that's what I have done :)

Mowcius

TchnclFl

Any updates?  This thread has been buried for a while ;D.

mowcius

Hmm yeah I was wondering when someone would ask me about it again. It has been up a few times in testing but I have unfortunately had a massive amount of other work to do so it has found a bit of a buried back seat recently.

I can stick it up if people would like to help me fill it...
It is a little empty at the moment but it could soon fill up with a bit of help.

I will hopefully (if nothing else gets in the way) be cutting some more acrylic soon and then the store can have something in it as well  :P

Mowcius

TchnclFl

I've checked the site a few times, but you didn't have it up at those times.

I'd love to help fill it in, but I don't know how helpful I could be ;D!  I'd certainly try :).

Daniel2

Feb 05, 2010, 07:21 pm Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 07:31 pm by Daniel2 Reason: 1
hey

it's good to hear the comments about freeduino.org, since even though it gets about 19K uniques a month these days, people rarely suggest improvements. I'll add an alphabetical list for scrolling. Heck, maybe I'll even clean up the design! But of course it makes very little money, just enough to cover the hosting, so don't expect too much :)

Daniel

PS: flipping back to the original discussion in this thread, afaik, and regardless of the Arduino suggested policy on using their name in domain names, it is entirely legal as far as I know to make new fan sites that use the Arduino name, as long as they are not capitalizing on the brand for commercial gain.   Using Ford's trademarks as an example, see:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/
http://www.mustangheaven.com/
http://www.fordreallysucks.com/

See also "Using trademarks for commentary and criticism" at
http://www.citizen.org/litigation/briefs/IntFreeSpch/cases/articles.cfm?ID=14270

Arduino is also not a registered trademark yet, just a claimed trademark that is in wide use. This means things are pretty wide open in terms of its use, as it currently enjoys few legal protections.  

mowcius

it gets about 19K uniques a month these days

Something to aspire to on my website then  ;)

But of course it makes very little money, just enough to cover the hosting, so don't expect too much

Yes, I do have the added advantage of free hosting so it is only about £7 a year for the domain for me.

Arduino is also not a registered trademark yet, just a claimed trademark that is in wide use.

Yes I found that too but I thought it is probably better to not be 'arduino' based as there are a lot of non arduino boards (that use the arduino IDE) and I am not biased.

Mowcius

Go Up