Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LCD Vertical Scrolling  (Read 2281 times)
England
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

First off, how feasible is this? I've read a few topics directly related to the Arduino and there's a few other non-Arduino projects doing this but none of them seem that simple, not that I mid working at it but don't want to waste 3 weeks going down the wrong road. I started this project on the Arduino for simplicity, if it is going to get too complex I might as well start from scratch and base it on a PIC18F of some variety.

I'm aiming to build a multi zone heating controller and so far I've got a display returning states from 1 wire temperature sensors which works fine when there's 4 sensors (on a 4 line display) but eventually I'm looking to control 16 or so zones so will have 16 lines of information in the rest state (i.e. when not in a menu). Would vertical scrolling be worth pursuing or is there a better way to achieve this, microVGA for instance?

I'm currently running this on a Duemilanove but will possibly move up to a Mega for more I\O later, if that helps.

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Given that you can write to all rows and columns of the display, I don't see any problem with you implementing vertical scrolling in your application i.e. copy the contents of row 1 to row 0, then row 2 to row 1 and so on.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

England
View Profile

Sounds almost too easy!

Another method I might try is to have a button select which 4 devices are displayed on the screen, see how usable it is when you have to wait 30-60 seconds for a particular screen to come round.

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I've got a display returning states from 1 wire temperature sensors ...
How much information is returning from each sensor?  In other words, do you need to dedicate an entire display line to each sensor?

or is there a better way to achieve this, microVGA for instance?
Have you considered using a Graphical LCD?

... possibly move up to a Mega for more I\O later, if that helps.
That won't help much on the display end of things.  One Character mode LCD uses 6 I/O lines.  Each additional display adds another I/O line.  You could use four 4-line displays, and display all of your information simultaneously, with nine I/O lines.

You could also go with an I2C I/O extender chip and do all of your display work with two I/O lines.

Don

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Will this interest you at all?

http://liudr.wordpress.com/libraries/phi_prompt/

Example project:

You can use a menu system and you can scroll with long messages. With a little adaptation, you can display dynamic long messages (all 10 sensors updating and you an scroll up/down to see them all).

The library phi_prompt is open source by the way.

England
View Profile

How much information is returning from each sensor?  In other words, do you need to dedicate an entire display line to each sensor?

Well, at a push I could fit 2 per line, but I was going to display the location, actual and target temps so that would leave me with 3 characters for a location, but still only 8 items on a a 20x4 display so would still need to scroll in some fashion.

Have you considered using a Graphical LCD?

Yes, that might also be an option. I was trying to squeeze it on a 20x4 screen as most of the time it will just be looking after itself so doesn't really need much more than an 4 line LCD, although I'm beginning to wonder!

Will this interest you at all?

It certainly will! I'll be having a play with that. smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: