Go Down

Topic: The UNO driver has a fault (Read 176 times) previous topic - next topic

Carbon-14

I have just purchased an Arduino starter kit from Maplin (the board is a UNO) and appear to have fallen at the first hurdle. I am using Windows 10 and have downloaded the Arduino software although the instructions given by Maplin were of no use as they were for Windows XP, Vista or 7. As far as I can tell, the software ( 1.7.8 ) loaded correctly as the IDE is on my computer and can be used as you would expect.

However, under settings > devices in the start menu, the entry for the ATmega15u2 DFU says that the driver is unavalable and clicking on the 'Device Manager' entry and double clicking on the 'unknown device' entry states that "the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). A service installation section in this INF is invalid." Clicking the 'update driver' button and clicking the 'search automatically' box produces a screen with a process bar which, after a short while, informs me that "Windows has found the driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it." The error being the same as that given earlier.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the Arduino software and got the same result.

I am not particularly skilled with Windows in general and 10 in particular.but I have tried to include everything that has happened hoping that this might be of value. Can anyone help me please?

sterretje

According to https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software, version 1.6.7 is the latest.

I might have missed something, but where did you download the software from?

Carbon-14

The software was downloaded from www.arduino.org/software and under v1.7.8 I chose windows: installer.

Maplin's guide said I should enter arduino.org/download, and this is where I ended up.

pert

The arduino.org IDE is maintained by a different company. If you want help with their software you should probably be contacting their customer support or post to their forum or report your issue to their bug tracker. However for use with an Uno I would recommend uninstalling the arduino.org IDE and install the arduino.cc IDE instead as it is under much more active development and there are more people on this forum who can help you if you have any problems.

jurs

The software was downloaded from www.arduino.org/software and under v1.7.8 I chose windows: installer.
The forum of Arduino.org is here:
http://labs.arduino.org/forums

If your questions is about problems with software downloaded from Arduino.org, you better ask in that forum.

Carbon-14

I didn't know that there were 2 streams to the IDE develpment. Why? Anyway, I uninstalled the .org product and dowloaded from the .cc website and installed that but I still get the same error I'm afraid.

I did notice though that installing the software from the .cc site does not download the Atmel drivers as the .org installer did  and so I am left with the original ones. Is it this driver which is causing the problem? It looks to me like this is the only driver in the package but I am so far out of my comfort zone I really don't know.

jurs

I didn't know that there were 2 streams to the IDE develpment. Why?
I don't know. One of the Arduino founders decided to do so, he launched Arduino.org about one year ago, and now two Arduino companies are devoping different hardware, different software and fighting lawsuits against each other.

Anyway, I uninstalled the .org product and dowloaded from the .cc website and installed that but I still get the same error I'm afraid.
Normally you never should see a Atmega16U2 DFU on the USB bus. This is just the USB-to-Serial chip on the UNO board and NOT the one you program with Arduino sketches. The programmable controller on an Arduino UNO board is an Atmega328.

Which version of the Arduino-IDE did you install?
Windows? Linux? MAC?

With Windows there are two packages distributed here at Arduino.cc:
- Windows installer version
- ZIP file version

If you install the Windows installer version, all drivers needed for original "Arduino.cc" boards should be pre-installed after the software installation has finished. You then plug in your Arduino.cc board, and Windows will then do the final USB driver installation without further interaction.

I don't know about boards which have printed "Arduino.org" on the backside of the PCB.

They might need manual driver installation of Arduino.org drivers if you do not use the software from Arduino.org. I really cannot tell as I myself never tried to install software for a board that had printed "Arduino.org" on the backside of the PCB.

Same when you install the ZIP file version, without having the drivers installed before: When plugging in the USB cable after you just unpacked the ZIP file version, Windows cannot find the correct UNO drivers itself and you will have to do a manual driver installation for the UNO driver (or whatever board you need to connect to your PC).

Carbon-14

Thanks for all your help. As this is an Arduino.org board, with different hardware and software to the .cc version I think I'd better ask on their forum and hope for a resolution. I appreciate you all taking the time to try and help a newbie thrashing around well out of his depth.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy