Go Down

Topic: Connecting Arduino Mini to USB Serial light adapter <- Solved (Read 111 times) previous topic - next topic

certhas

Hallo,

i'm a total newbie to arduino. i've allready read some guides and searched the forum but i still can't get the thing to work. (arduino min as board is choosen, com3 as well - check in the device manager, programmer: avrisp mk2)
This is the error i get when i try to upload a sketch:
Arduino: 1.6.3 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Mini, ATmega328"

Sketch uses 18,486 bytes (64%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.

Global variables use 607 bytes (29%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,441 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d

so, what have i done so far:
i've connected the USB serial light adapter to the arduino mini:
gnd->gnd
5v->5v
rx->rx
tx->tx
is that sufficient? somehwere i've read that if you don't connect the reset pin the mini resets randomly?

I hope someone can help me.

CrossRoads

Press reset on the  Mini when the IDE shows
"compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes" or similar
to kick off the bootloader so the mini is looking for the programming message coming in.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

certhas

i've allready tryed pressing the reset button while compiling, doesn't work  :smiley-confuse:

johnwasser

Unfortunately the Arduino Mini doesn't have a six-pin inline connector that matches the standard FTDI Cable connector on the USB/Serial Light.

There is a diagram here for how to connect the two boards together:
http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoMini
Don't forget the 100 nF capacitor between the USB/Serial Light DTR (External Reset) pin and the Arduino Mini's Reset pin.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

certhas

Yeah, i took a look at that guide. Thats the reason i was wondering if i obligatory have to connect the reset or not. So not connecting the reset via a capacitor prevents the mini from communicating with the programmer?

johnwasser

So not connecting the reset via a capacitor prevents the mini from communicating with the programmer?
Not connecting the reset via a capacitor and not manually reseting at the right time prevents the programmer from communicating with the bootloader on the Mini.  If the programmer does not send a request to the bootloader in the short time after reset that the bootloader is looking for commands then the bootloader goes on to running the last sketch that was uploaded.  After that the programmer has missed the opportunity to communicate with the bootloader.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

certhas

Ok, now i did it like in the tutorial. Soldered a 0,1microF capacitor between the reset of the usb programmer and the arduino mini and soldered a led to the pin13.
The Led is blinking 3 times when i connect it to the pc, and then blinking 3 times very fast every 10sec or so.

But i still cant upload a sketch. Could the mini be broken? Or is there something else i might be missing?
Here's a pic

certhas

Gnah, im really stupid.
I've assumed that TX is connected to TX and RX to RX. Logically a reciever cant recieve anything from another reciever and a transmitter cant recieve something...
After soldering TX to RX it worked.
Now you can slap me ;)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy