Go Down

Topic: Arduino... Port greyed. Cannot access it. (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic

sayantijana08

I had installed the Installer for downloading the Arduino Software.
But in the IDE, the Port option was greyed.
And also in the Device Manager, under Port(COM & LPT), there was no Arduino Option.
While uploading the program, such error messages, cropped up :

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

dannable

Is a genuine Arduino? Or a clone that uses the CH340 interface chip? If the latter then you need to locate and install the necessary drivers.

Are you sure the device is on COM1? I think that unlikely. The way I test is to remove the Arduino, then open up the port selection menu. Note any ports that show. Now connect the Arduino and repeat. The Arduino is connected to any new port that appears.
Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

sterretje

Jul 08, 2017, 07:47 pm Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 07:50 pm by sterretje
If the port menu is grayed out, there are no com ports on your system. Sounds like the IDE is stupid enough to use the default (after install) of COM1 which does not exist in this case.

This is possibly a driver problem. Inspect your board and check which usb chip is on there. For ch340, you need to install the driver. Else try a re-install of the existing driver. Original arduinos have an atmel (16U2 if not mistaken) usb chip.

It can also be a cable / connection issue. And a number of Arduinos seem to have issues when connected to USB3.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up