Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Upload Timeout Error on Mega 2560 - Not Sure What Changed  (Read 43826 times)
Europe
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

OK, picked up the Mega2560 from my friend last night, and tested it out on the Lenovo Win7 32bit desktop and HP Win7 64bit laptop, and it works fine on both. The only variation from the Uno is the driver takes a long time to load (2-3 minutes - OK maybe not that long in the big scheme) and opening the serial monitor takes a while to reset the Mega - maybe 5 seconds. The Mega works well on our LED and LCD shield and takes only slightly longer to load.

So the issue looks like a Dell issue. Maybe if anyone has a dead Mega2560, please report the make, model, operating system, and any other details which are show when you right click on My Computer and select Properties.

i tossed my mega into junk (i only scalvaged some connectors...), if i will ever need a high end dev. platform, i will go for psoc, mbed, el.imp, chipkit or raspberry...  smiley-twist smiley-twist smiley-twist

View Profile

Hey All,
    I had a similar issue when I was trying to use an Uno as a boot loader, and I think the trick is that the chip is getting reset part way into the upload. The reasons this seems plausible are :
A - someone mentioned it looked like his board had reset
B - after a half-assed attempt at uploading, my board just starts up the old code (i.e. looks like it reset)
C - It seems correlated to length of code, and I have no issue uploading the blink code, ever.
    Anywho, the hardware solution to this software problem is to toss a BFC (10uF or so, I used an electrolytic) between the Reset pin and ground. What this does is it stops the device from getting reset by little transients that I believe are associated with the serial printing stuff.
    Hope this works for Y'all, in the end I got it working with Arduino 023 and a 49K program.

EDIT: This worked great briefly but now it has gone back to it's old ways of not working.
    -Shibbs
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:19:13 pm by shibbs » Logged

Europe
View Profile

Hey All,
    I had a similar issue when I was trying to use an Uno as a boot loader, and I think the trick is that the chip is getting reset part way into the upload. The reasons this seems plausible are :
A - someone mentioned it looked like his board had reset
B - after a half-assed attempt at uploading, my board just starts up the old code (i.e. looks like it reset)
C - It seems correlated to length of code, and I have no issue uploading the blink code, ever.
    Anywho, the hardware solution to this software problem is to toss a BFC (10uF or so, I used an electrolytic) between the Reset pin and ground. What this does is it stops the device from getting reset by little transients that I believe are associated with the serial printing stuff.
    Hope this works for Y'all, in the end I got it working with Arduino 023 and a 49K program.

EDIT: This worked great briefly but now it has gone back to it's old ways of not working.
    -Shibbs

Salvage usable components and throw the rest away...

San Pedro, CA.
My head HURTS!!!
View Profile

I'm having the same problem as Ragnar. Burn a new bootloader, upload one sketch. Then can't upload again (just hangs). Burn bootloader, upload one sketch... Has anyone found the problem or a fix. I'm using Mega2560 R1 and IDE1.0.2 on Windows 7 x64.

DJ

DigitalJohnson

Arduino rocks
View Profile

In reply to http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,83079.msg659993.html#msg659993

For the software patch of avrdude (stk500v2.c, patch for gentoo attached) it is necessary to take/leave the protocol "stk500v2" to take effect of patched program.

Wise versa for the protocol "wiring" got to work it is necessary to connect the "RESET-EN" pads on the board.

Good luck, Thomas

* arduino-mega-timeout.patch (0.64 KB - downloaded 36 times.)

View Profile

I had this error, the solution was simple. from the tools menu, select the correct serial port. If that doesn't work, try putting the usb into the same port you used during installation of the arduino software. smiley-wink

Brazil
Science Go
View Profile

I've got this issue today after change my sketch to print three exclamation characters in sequence to the serial port:

Code:
Serial.println("!!!");

I'm using Mega 256 with a Ethernet shield however this happens in any sketch, even Blink.ino.
It looks like to me that this is a kind of reserved word for the compiler or for the firmware.
Anyways I've just removed one exclamation character and it is working fine now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:00:39 pm by edugodoy » Logged

---
Eduardo

View Profile

Hey thanks for the hint!
Running exactly into the same mess with MEGA, Arduino 1.0.5 on OSX..
Did some prints with "!!!" too.

B.T.W: I ported some code snippets from a LEONARDO, there it runs flawlessly.....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:28:30 pm by sigi » Logged

View Profile

I've got this issue today after change my sketch to print three exclamation characters in sequence to the serial port:

Code:
Serial.println("!!!");

I'm using Mega 256 with a Ethernet shield however this happens in any sketch, even Blink.ino.
It looks like to me that this is a kind of reserved word for the compiler or for the firmware.
Anyways I've just removed one exclamation character and it is working fine now.

Yes! Me too! I had a println with some text that ended with three exclamation marks. Since attempting to upload that I have lost the ability to upload to the board. It just times out. I have removed the exclamation marks but it still wasn't working. I then unplugged the Mega, removed it's external power (I'm using a USB shield). Then tried to upload. It worked again. Weird. But at least problem is solved.

View Profile

Mac OSx FIX!!!!

ok so I was really pissed off with this whole thing so I just started messing around with the menus and clicking things.

From what I can remember...

1. Open a random example sketch
2.  Toggle the the Input Library to "Wire" if you havent already by going to the sketch drop down menu
3.  Toggle the board from Uno and then toggle it back to Mega (not sure why or if it helps,  just do it)
4. Toggle the usb port (I just picked something random)
5. *Toggle the Programmer from AVRISP mkII to AVRISP
6. Upload the new sketch and it should run.

My original program that it was stuck on was a basic analog read of a potentiometer voltage and to switch on an LED for greater than 400 threshold then displaying the threshold on Serial Display. Initially it worked fine...then I started to update the code with more statements. I attempted to upload my new version of code and thats when it happened..timeout. SO I'm not sure if that process will work for you guys but it seemed to clear my old code and reset the MEGA and is working fine so far...yet i havent tried any complicated code yet

View Profile

For what it's worth I've struggled with this issue on my R3 mega 2560 for about a day earlier in the week.  My problems was using the RX0 ( digital pin 0 on the board ) as part of my circuit when other pins could have easily been used.  This was ( I believe ) interfering with the serial communication w/ the host that occurs during programming.  I've since moved the function I had tied to that pin to another output and have had no issues since.

It may seem obvious but it wasn't at the time smiley   Hope this helps.

thanks

Chard, Somerset UK
View Profile

Same problem here as well.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

I can't work out what fix actually worked from the pages of this post, but it seems odd so many of us are have the same issue and for so long. After the compile I notice that the Rx/Tx light periodically blink so think it is, as some have said a hardware coms issue with the board not responding back on the USB port.

IDE 1.0.5 (reinstalled fresh copy - made no difference) running on Windows Seven - this started about a week ago and before then everything worked every time. I would also point out that it is holding the USB com port open even when disconnecting the mega and does it with no other items (shields in place) connected. and no changes to the sketch that used to upload apart from a spelling mistake. (Statues to Status on LCD output when shield is connected)

All very strange. 
Steve

Mexico City
I dont wanna be a product of my environment I want my environment to be a product of me
View Profile

Hey I got the same problem, I tried to load different codes and some of them made it,

but by now I get to upload a code, but then this message appears, even though load is complete:

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Don't have any idea of how to fix it, please help

Rodolfo Aguilar

View Profile

Make sure you don't have another device hooked up on the TX0/RX0 pins (e.g. UART or Serial bridge).  I had the hang up until I disconnected the serial bridge each time I programmed, then everything seemed to be okay.

View Profile

Hi folks, for what it's worth, I don't get the message on the first load after powerup. On the second load I get this message.  When I power/down - power/up, no message.  Even with the message the blink example works.  Pete gregorio

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Jump to: