Go Down

Topic: charging while using (Read 852 times) previous topic - next topic

ocean750

Hello all.

I need some help with a battery.
I would like to run my board from a battery. at the same time, I would like to charge it.
So that when the power is out my board will keep on working.

I don't mind what type pf batery I am using for now, I do very much need a diagram that will show how this is possible.

Thanks
Angela

Rokkit

Dec 15, 2011, 07:34 pm Last Edit: Dec 15, 2011, 07:36 pm by Rokkit Reason: 1

Here's something to get you started, you may need to adjust it accordingly to work with the voltages you're using
"Every day is a good day, some are just gooder than others."   D. Fowler

MarkT

I guess the unstated issue is the rise in battery voltage during charging.  If the battery is 9V say and going into the Vin, its easy, just connect charger to battery.

If using 4x NiMH cells (about 5.3V) then over-charging might push the battery voltage too high for Vcc (5.5V is the maximum).  A constant-voltage charger set to 5.5V would be one solution.  That would work with either battery, charger or both connected which is nice.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

ocean750

Thanks for the diagram!
I do have some questions.

The left part is understood, I am curios about the right side, from where Q1 is placed.

The purpose of the circuit is to activate the arduino board.

So how do I connect both powers so that when the power is down the battery will take over ?

Thanks
Angela

Here's something to get you started, you may need to adjust it accordingly to work with the voltages you're using

ocean750

Thanks for the input.
Let's say that I am using a 9V battery.
I can not connect the power supply to both board and battery directly.

Can you put your idea into a diagram ?

Thanks
Angela

I guess the unstated issue is the rise in battery voltage during charging.  If the battery is 9V say and going into the Vin, its easy, just connect charger to battery.

If using 4x NiMH cells (about 5.3V) then over-charging might push the battery voltage too high for Vcc (5.5V is the maximum).  A constant-voltage charger set to 5.5V would be one solution.  That would work with either battery, charger or both connected which is nice.

Rokkit

Thanks for the diagram!
I do have some questions.

The left part is understood, I am curios about the right side, from where Q1 is placed.

The purpose of the circuit is to activate the arduino board.

So how do I connect both powers so that when the power is down the battery will take over ?

Thanks
Angela

This circuit will do that automatically.
"Every day is a good day, some are just gooder than others."   D. Fowler

Go Up