Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: "Could not find the main class:processing.app.Base. Program will exit" Error.  (Read 4775 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well I am a noob to circuit boarding and programming thought I would approach it while using arduino. Thinking of my third year of high school to start a club on this stuff, but always gives me this error on launching the programming. Sorry if this has been solved elsewhere....

View Profile

Nevermind, I finally found it under the guide thing. I am very sorry.

USA
View Profile

I wish you had said what guide thingy you saw so I could find out the answer and what os and version of arduino.
Thank you.

View Profile

What guide thingy did you use? I have had my Uno for 4 months now and can't use it smiley-mad smiley-cry Can you help me?

Canada
Code Monkey
View Profile

What guide thingy did you use? I have had my Uno for 4 months now and can't use it smiley-mad smiley-cry Can you help me?

Have you described your exact problem, with OS details, in the appropriate forum? If you are on Windows 7 or Vista you might have a few hoops to jump through, but it can be made to work.

I yield() for co-routines.

View Profile

I've got an UNO R3 and I'm using windows 7

Canada
Code Monkey
View Profile

I've got an UNO R3 and I'm using windows 7

Excellent. Now, what doesn't work? I mean, other people with an Uno use Windows 7. So, it follows that it works for you. If it doesn't, you should share the details. All of the mind-readers are on vacation this week.

View Profile

I do use both and it works. Win 7 has the problem of not recognizing the drivers automatically...So ill guess that is your issue...

10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

View Profile

I've got everything installed correctly, it's that, when I try to open the Arduino Application from the file arduino-1.0, it says "Could not find the main class: processing.app.Base. Program will exit." I got all the drivers on correctly (manually loaded them from arduino-1.0, complex)

-Confused in Carolina

Canada
Code Monkey
View Profile

I've got everything installed correctly, it's that, when I try to open the Arduino Application from the file arduino-1.0, it says "Could not find the main class: processing.app.Base. Program will exit." I got all the drivers on correctly (manually loaded them from arduino-1.0, complex)

Ok, so what we have here is an installation where the JVM (Java Virtual Machine -- the thing that actually provides the IDE) cannot find the main class (obvs, from the message). So, we haven't even exercised the drivers or anything yet. So let's put a pin in that part of the conversation.

So, this message means that the JVM could not find, or open or access lib/pde.jar in the arduinio-1.0 directory.

Assuming this file is there (is it? you should check) this is probably some sort of security thing.  Have you tried right-clicking on the arduino-1.0/arduino.exe executable in Explorer and selecting "Run as administrator"?

Also, make sure you disable any real-time anti-virus programs. These can interfere with normal operation of any executable, resulting in weird results.

Once you have exhausted these options, I urge you to try to run the app from a new user account created just for this test, as sometimes there can be subtle user-specific issues that cause problems on Windows.

View Profile

I had exactly the same issues. Here's how I got it up and running:

1.- Carefully extract the Arduino software to your Program Files (x86) folder. Make sure that you correctly extracted the contents of the Arduino .zip file - in particular that the lib directory is directly inside of the Arduino directory and contains the file pde.jar. (http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/troubleshooting#toc12).

2.- Make sure you have the latest Java Runtime Environment (I think it's JRE 1.7 at the time of this posting).

3.- Go to device manager and under "Other Devices" right click your Arduino and update the driver. Make sure you point it to the "drivers" folder and NOT any subfolder. It should detect it from here.

4.- Start up the software. No matter how many times I tell it to run as administrator it still asks me if I'll let the software make changes every time I start it up, but it should run at this point.

5.- Send me gobs of money  smiley-twist

Win7 x64
Intel T8100
4 GB DDR
Arduino Uno board
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:01:05 am by AnaVictoria » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: