Go Down

Topic: What sensor to measure liquid alcohol? (Read 2007 times) previous topic - next topic

l h

Anyone have any ideas on what type of sensor I should use to measure the alcohol percent in vodka or other booze? If I were at a bar and ordered a shot of straight booze (nothing with sugar or sugar added) what sensor could I use to confirm the strength?  Liquid is the key, not vapor.

AWOL

Gunpowder is a tried and tested method.
Might raise (and singe) a few eyebrows though.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

l h

Dec 19, 2011, 09:49 pm Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011, 09:52 pm by leehelzer Reason: 1
I'm looking for something with a bit greater sensitivity range and that does not contaminate the sample.   The fun factor certainly drops though.

Constantin

I'd go the conductance route. Simple, cheap, easy. May even work.

Dr_Ugi

Capacitative measurement might well work at low voltages - water has a dielectirc constant of around 80 at room temp, while alcohol is closer to 35.  A 40% spirit will therefore have a dielectric constant 22%-ish lower than pure water.

jackrae

The simplest test for alcohol purity is a hydrometer.  Does not affect the product and requires no external power supplies but is slightly influenced by product temperature.

Go Up