Go Down

Topic: led drum lights (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I want to build an led drum light similar to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgNQ_hs-G4 . I am new to the arduino. I have a piezo attached to analog pin A0. I tried to combine the array example sketch with the knock sensor sketch. I was eventually able to get the array to work with the piezo but it goes through the whole array when the piezo is greater than the threshold,
How would i increment the array pointer +\- 1 one time per event ?  Or is there an easier way to do this ?

How would i increment the array pointer +\- 1 one time per event ?

What array pointer?

How do you define an event?

Dec 21, 2011, 08:58 pm Last Edit: Dec 21, 2011, 09:37 pm by DVDdoug Reason: 1
I'm going to guess you need a delay (maybe 100ms ?), assuming your code is otherwise OK.   Of course, the drum-hit doesn't make a nice single digital pulse, and you are going to get multiple triggers if you don't stop and wait while the drum-sound fades-down.

- Wait for hit (looping)
- Trigger & read array
- Incriment to next array element
- Delay
- Loop back and wait for another hit...

Or, you might have to make a variable threshold...  So, after a hit/trigger it gets less-sensitive for a few milliseconds.   Then as the milliseconds pass, it gets more sensitive waiting for the next hit. 

I've actually built something like that with an analog circuit - It would automatically set the trigger threshold...   I had a peak-detector charging a capacitor, and that set my threshold-reference.  So a beat comes-in, triggers the lights, and the threshold is automatically set.  (The threshold and signal are run-into a comparator that triggers the lights whenever the signal is greater than the threshold.)   The capacitor would discharge through a resistor, so the threshold would drop and and the thing would get more sensitive the longer it waited for another beat.      (There may have been a bit more to the circuit, but that's the basic idea and the same thing can be done in software.)  The timing was "tuned" so that it "likes" to trigger 3 or 4 times per second to match the beat of a typical song. 

Thanks DVDdoug

I'm having trouble keeping it from running through the whole array here's what I have so far, if any one could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. also I have included a video of how it acts with the current code

Code: [Select]
const int knockSensor = A0; // the piezo is connected to analog pin 0
const int threshold = 100;  // threshold value to decide when the detected sound is a knock or not
int timer = 160;           // The higher the number, the slower the timing.
int ledPins[] = {
  13, 8, 12, 9, 11, 10,  };       // an array of pin numbers to which LEDs are attached
int pinCount = 6;           // the number of pins (i.e. the length of the array)
int sensorReading = 0;      // variable to store the value read from the sensor pin
void setup() {
  int thisPin;
  // the array elements are numbered from 0 to (pinCount - 1).
  // use a for loop to initialize each pin as an output:
  for (int thisPin = 0; thisPin < pinCount; thisPin++)  {
    pinMode(ledPins[thisPin], OUTPUT);     

void loop() {
  sensorReading = analogRead(knockSensor);   
  // loop from the lowest pin to the highest:
   if (sensorReading >= threshold) {
  for (int thisPin = 0; thisPin < pinCount; thisPin++) {
    // turn the pin on:
    digitalWrite(ledPins[thisPin], HIGH);   
    // turn the pin off:
    digitalWrite(ledPins[thisPin], LOW);   

// loop from the highest pin to the lowest:
   if (sensorReading >= threshold) {
  for (int thisPin = pinCount - 1; thisPin >= 0; thisPin--) {
    // turn the pin on:
    digitalWrite(ledPins[thisPin], HIGH);
    // turn the pin off:
    digitalWrite(ledPins[thisPin], LOW);

I would like to build this for my nephew
Here's a link to a video of my nephews band

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131