Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Uno Rev3 pinouts photo  (Read 84114 times)
Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes ...

Below is a modified photo of the Uno Rev3 board, with annotations about the extra meanings of some pins (not printed on the board):

I personally find that when trying to hook up I2C or SPI, I can never remember which pin is SDA and which is SCL. Hopefully this photo will help others to quickly connect up their systems.

Earlier boards are similar except that they don't have the ICSP header for programming the USB interface chip, and the extra SDA/SCL sockets for use with I2C.

I find that the pins on the ICSP header (on the right) are useful for grabbing an extra +5/Gnd combination if I need to power other devices (or for hooking up a multimeter or logic analyzer).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:02:01 pm by Nick Gammon » Logged

View Profile

Thanks for sharing!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

You are welcome.

I've put the same photo on my website, with various annotations about what the abreviations (eg. I2C, SPI) mean, and some useful stuff about maximum ratings:

http://www.gammon.com.au/uno

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

I can never remember which pin is SDA and which is SCL

SCL = Simply Connect Last (at least on an Arduino 328)

SDA = Shouldbe Dhe Ather (The other)   smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

That mounting hole on the top left side was already hard to use and this time with the two additional pins it should be impossible to use now.

Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile

Really?  I'm using that mounting hole just fine with an R2.  I suspect the R3 will be tight and might even require some shaving of the screw/bolt head, but it should still work just fine.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Nice job Nick. Working on breadboards a lot, I have a cheat sheet (attached) which shows the DIP pin numbers, the Arduino pin numbers, and the AVR pin names.

That mounting hole on the top left side was already hard to use and this time with the two additional pins it should be impossible to use now.

True that. I wonder why they felt compelled to add redundant I2C pins. I've found the existing ones to be quite adequate...

* ATmega328 Pins.xlsx (12.59 KB - downloaded 406 times.)

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Centurion RSA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the cheat sheet Jack. I do a lot of stand alone development (not using the Arduino board) and I always have to look up the pins. This will help a lot.

Rather people think you to be a fool than you open your mouth and confirm it.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

why they felt compelled to add redundant I2C pins.
multiple cpu compatibility.   It won't always be the case that the I2C shares pins with the ADC, and it would be nice to have shields that continue to work.

It's the same issue as SPI on the existing Uno vs MEGA.  The original ethernet shield assumed that the SPI pins were D13..11, and it didn't work with the MEGA at all, without stringing jumpers all over...

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

multiple cpu compatibility.

Makes sense. Thanks.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

Dumb question... Did they change the USB interface chip and, why does its firmware need to be upgraded?

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

The older Uno had an Atmega8U2-MU USB interface. The Rev 3 Uno has an Atmega16U2-MU chip.

I presume the ability to upgrade the firmware is to allow for if it turns out to have some sort of bug, or maybe just for future expansion.

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

Here is a small part of the info from this link: http://www.ladyada.net/library/arduino/unofaq.html

The USB controller chip has moved from an atmega8u2 (8K flash) to an atmega16u2 (16K flash). This does not mean that you have more flash or RAM for your sketches this upgrade is for the USB interface chip only. In theory this will mean that it will be easier to have low level USB interfaces such as MIDI/Joystick/Keyboard available. However these are only theoretical at this time, there is no example code or firmware which will actually do this.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Nick,  you didn't mention the extra pins on the power header. I think one has no connection the other is +5v also, tho not labelled that on the card.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

True, not on the photo. I mention the IOREF pin on the page I linked to.

http://www.gammon.com.au/uno

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Jump to: