Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Serial Midi Converter  (Read 4696 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

smiley-roll-sweat
Hello,
I am making a midi drum and I have finished building it but my problem is that Serial MIDI Converter flashes me a red light on the Serial RX. From what I understand is that it should be showing a green light to show that it is receiving a midi signal. What does a midi line look like? I am running code that I found online:

Code:
//*******************************************************************************************************************
// User settable variables
//*******************************************************************************************************************

unsigned char PadNote[6] = {60,61,62,63,64,65};         // MIDI notes from 0 to 127 (Mid C = 60)

int PadCutOff[6] = {900,900,900,900,900,900};           // Minimum Analog value to cause a drum hit

int MaxPlayTime[6] = {90,90,90,90,90,90};               // Cycles before a 2nd hit is allowed

#define  midichannel 0;                              // MIDI channel from 0 to 15 (+1 in "real world")

boolean VelocityFlag  = true;                           // Velocity ON (true) or OFF (false)

// Internal Use Variables

boolean activePad[6] = {0,0,0,0,0,0};                   // Array of flags of pad currently playing
int PinPlayTime[6] = {0,0,0,0,0,0};                     // Counter since pad started to play

unsigned char status;

int pin = 0;    
int hitavg = 0;

// Setup

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(57600);                                  // connect to the serial port 115200
}

// Main Program

void loop()
{
  for(int pin=0; pin < 6; pin++)
  {
    hitavg = analogRead(pin);                              // read the input pin

if((hitavg > PadCutOff[pin]))
    {
      if((activePad[pin] == false))
      {
        if(VelocityFlag == true)
        {
//          hitavg = 127 / ((1023 - PadCutOff[pin]) / (hitavg - PadCutOff[pin]));    // With full range (Too sensitive ?)
          hitavg = (hitavg / 8 ) -1 ;                                                 // Upper range
        }
        else
        {
          hitavg = 127;
        }

MIDI_TX(144,PadNote[pin],hitavg);
        PinPlayTime[pin] = 0;
        activePad[pin] = true;
      }
      else
      {
        PinPlayTime[pin] = PinPlayTime[pin] + 1;
      }
    }
    else if((activePad[pin] == true))
    {
      PinPlayTime[pin] = PinPlayTime[pin] + 1;

if(PinPlayTime[pin] > MaxPlayTime[pin])
      {
        activePad[pin] = false;
        MIDI_TX(128,PadNote[pin],127);
      }
    }
  }
}

// Transmit MIDI Message
void MIDI_TX(unsigned char MESSAGE, unsigned char PITCH, unsigned char VELOCITY)
{  
  status = MESSAGE + midichannel;
  Serial.print(status);
  Serial.print(PITCH);
  Serial.print(VELOCITY);

}

Any ideas on how to resolve my issue?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:02:14 am by AspireBear » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Please modify that post. Select the code  and hit the # icon and save.
Next how have you got this wired up ?
It is not outputting at MIDI speeds so it must be sending stuff straight into the serial port. What application have you got that translates this into MIDI?

View Profile

I did the following:

With the grounds from the piezos connected to one ground.
And I am using Serial Midi Converter on my Macbook, configured like so:
http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/Serial_MIDI.html
And that is where my data shows that it is not midi formated... Are there better Midi apps for mac?
I tried changing my baud rate to 31250 and had the same problem.
Edit: I tried again with a baud rate of 31250 and Serial Midi Converter freezes when i select my output...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:27:21 am by AspireBear » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

What version of the arduino IDE are you running?
Recent changes might make it not work.
Try replacing that function at the end with this:-
Code:
void MIDI_TX(unsigned char MESSAGE, unsigned char PITCH, unsigned char VELOCITY)

Serial.write(status);
  Serial.write(PITCH);
  Serial.write(VELOCITY);

}

View Profile

Wow! Your the best! That made all the difference, I fiddled with my settings in Ableton Live and now it works with that new line of code!
What I changed in Ableton was the in the Preferences > MIDI Sync and turned on all IAC Input and Output (Track & Remote) and it works!
Now I can drum away  smiley

Thanks Grumpy_Mike.

Maryland, USA
View Profile

Try replacing that function at the end with this:-
Code:
{  
  Serial.write(status);
  Serial.write(PITCH);
  Serial.write(VELOCITY);

}

Grumpy_Mike, you are a genius!   smiley

P.S. After thinking about it, I understand why this works and the previous version doesn't.
But I am puzzled on why did the previous version worked with older board, if it did.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:56:56 pm by Thot » Logged

There are three kind of people in the world: Those who can count, and those who can't

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: