Go Down

Topic: External crystal for Attiny85 (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

ProfePaco

Dec 25, 2011, 04:36 pm Last Edit: Dec 25, 2011, 04:39 pm by ProfePaco Reason: 1
I would like to employ an external 20MHz crystal for Attiny85.

I see that the crystal must be attached to pins 2 and 3. And datasheet gives us recommended values for the capacitors. OK.

However, the question is, pins 2 and 3, cannot be used for inputs/outputs if an external crystal is present?

Thanks in advance

Runaway Pancake

"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

spycatcher2k

Hi - You can use the pins as I/O if you do not use a crystal, You can set the chip to use an internal 8Mhz (or 1Mhz with divide by 8 set). OR run the chip at upto 20Mhz with the crystal & caps.  Having built over 100 projects with 45/85 chips, I have not used a crystal setup yet (other than on my programming board,  just incase I set the fuses to use external clock).
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

ProfePaco

Hi - You can use the pins as I/O if you do not use a crystal, You can set the chip to use an internal 8Mhz (or 1Mhz with divide by 8 set). OR run the chip at upto 20Mhz with the crystal & caps.  Having built over 100 projects with 45/85 chips, I have not used a crystal setup yet (other than on my programming board,  just incase I set the fuses to use external clock).

Yes... however in my case I need a lot of power because I have to make 3 FFT from 3 microphones continuously... so 20MHz better than 8. But I do not have pins enough if I use a external crystal.

I need 3 analogs input for the mics and one pin for sending the information to another Arduino.

BenF

... so 20MHz better than 8. But I do not have pins enough if I use a external crystal.

The AtTiny85 has a PLL circuit that can be used as a system clock source for 16MHz (64MHz / 4) operation. All you need is to program the approriate clock select fuse.

Go Up