Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Burning bootloader  (Read 2517 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

oh - i think there is a little misunderstanding - the tutorial i mentioned discribed this, i only didn't know, that these pins are the isp pins.
my board is connected to the arduino like in this picture

and i also uploadet the "arduinoISP" sketch to the uno, also switched the IDE to the board i want to burn the bootloader to (Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ATmega168P) and the bootloader burning process starts, but the RX/TX lights of my arduino uno stoped blinking after ~15 sec, the burning process fails and i got the error messages i posted above.

I had a VERY similar problem getting started with arduino last month putting the boot loader on a few ATMEGA328PU's. I found you need to change the expected ID of the chip and then pulled out my hair trying to debug the circuit. It looks like you are trying to use the Arduino as ISP to burn the boot loader... I can't find it again, but I found one credible article on the internet saying you couldn't use the Uno (Just Older versions maybe?) as a ISP.

I resisted for a day and a half but in the end ended up making a parallel programmer really quickly and simply using the Uno as a glorified socket for the new atmega I am burning the bootloader to and plugging the parallel programmer into the ICSP header opposite the board from the power and USB plug.

One thing to remember, or so I'm told, is that you must be powered externally when burning the bootloader with the parallel programming method.

I hope this helps.

View Profile

well about 2 minutes before I read your post I still got it :-)

my error was to use the ArduinoISP sketch frome the IDE 1.0 version, an burning with ther 0023 version, now I uploaded the sketch from the 0023 and i got it working smiley

but also, thank you smiley-wink

View Profile

Can i use a arduino mega 2560 to burn a bootloader to a atmega 328 chip on a breadboard?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Yes.

View Profile

not trying o be a noob but I cant seem to find a tutorial that will work. Can you point me in the right direction. I am trying to burn the "atmega328 with internal 8mhz) bootloader onto a minimalist breadboard config. I just keep getting errors. mostly not in synch resp=0x00

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

How did you disable auto-reset?

View Profile

.2uf ceramic capacitor between 5v and reset on the mega 2560. I tried going back to arduino ide 0023. still the same problem. Just thought about this, The atmega328 that i am trying to bootload already had a bootloader on it when i purchased it but it is loaded for the uno setup with an external 16mhz crystal. I am trying to load the minimalist bootloader on it. Is this what is causing the problem?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:25:13 am by jeremydial1981 » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I don't recall ever reading that...

.2uf ceramic capacitor

...or...

between 5v and reset

...being recommended to disable auto-reset.

The recommendation is 10 uF (despite what everyone says, size does matter  smiley-twist) connected between RESET and   GND  ...
http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

I am trying to load the minimalist bootloader on it. Is this what is causing the problem?

No.

View Profile

ok ok. . . i think i was accidentally combining both methods listed in the tutorial you linked to resistor between reset and 5v and the capacitor between reset and ground.   and for the capacitor . . . my wife always tells me that size doesn't matter so i was just going off of that smiley-sad maybe i should rethink . . lol  also am I correct that if using an arduino uno rev 3 that i DO NOT need to disable any auto-reset. Sorry if my questions are pretty basic but I am new and learning. I really do appreciate all the help.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:52:18 am by jeremydial1981 » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

i think i was accidentally combining both methods listed in the tutorial you linked to resistor between reset and 5v and the capacitor between reset and ground.

Which reminds me: A few folks have reported having to use both a resistor and a a capacitor to disable auto-reset.

and for the capacitor . . . my wife always tells me that size doesn't matter so i was just going off of that smiley-sad maybe i should rethink . . lol 

There is a minimum size and I believe 0.2 uF is below the minimum.  Your wife is correct as long as you meet the minimum requirement.

also am I correct that if using an arduino uno rev 3 that i DO NOT need to disable any auto-reset

MAY NOT.  I have a R2 board that works very well without having to disable auto-reset.  Presumably, an R3 board should work just as well. 

The best plan is start with a capacitor (and/or a resistor) to disable auto-reset.  Once you have that working, test without the capacitor (resistor).

I really do appreciate all the help

You are welcome.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Finally got around to programming an ATtiny85 (internal 8MHz) using UNO as ISP last night but ran down before success with a 328PU. I made the avrdude.conf hack and used the breadboard.zip files to go the minimalist internal clock route there but ran out of steam and time before success.

I'll get back into it but wonder if there's better info? The last page I went from was here:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

The main error was a synch problem IIRC, that was about 5:30AM when I ran out of steam.

I have an ftdi friend device (the price was nice), would using that make any of this easier?

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: