Go Down

Topic: First project - a dial indicator reader (Read 2424 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted to post my first Arduino project - a dial indicator reader.  This was very easy and took me only a few hours to figure out, and I'm not a very good programmer.  The intended use is to provide a remote reading from an indicator that will connected to a focuser mounted on a telescope, enabling one (me) to determine best focus (while staying warm inside).  Comments would be greatly appreciated! --Keith

//indicator_3 K. Warner 10/29/10
//This Arduino code takes a 24 bit serial data stream from a CenTech (Harbor Freight) #93295 
//dial indicator and inverts it to ASCII on the serial port.  The encoder uses a 1.55V watch
//battery with its positive terminal grounded; HIGH is 0V and LOW is about 1.3V.  To trigger the 
//digital inputs on 5V logic the clock and data outputs are buffered with pullup transistors.  The 
//code and description are written with reference to the pulse streams as observed on an 
//oscilloscope connected to the buffer outputs, which are connected to digital inputs on an 
//Arduino Uno board; HIGH is 5V and LOW is 0V.
//The clock is connected to digital pin 2, which is used as interrupt 0; it has the form 
//    H560/L220/H560/L220/H560/L220/H560/L1000...repeat 6 times.../L280000/...
//with units in microseconds.  (Values are approximate.) The data output is connected to pin 3,
//and is inverted (NOT 2's complement, as some other indicator outputs are encoded).  The data
//has the form
//    L340/Bit0 440/L340/Bit1 440/L340/Bit2 440/L340/Bit3 1200/...6X.../L290000/...
//thus, the bits are read when the clock goes low.  The data has the form
//    B0...B11 - binary value of dial readout, inverted
//    B12..B19 - not used
//    B20 - sign bit ('-' is high, '+' is low)
//    B21..B22 - not used
//    B23 - units bit ('in' is high, 'mm' is low)
//by various manufacturers to describe a data output that can be used for process control (I take 
//"SPC" to mean "statistical process control" but there may be another meaning); in any event the 
//term DOES NOT describe a standard protocol.  Others have decoded outputs from Mitotoyo, Starrett,
//and generic (primarily Chinese) tools;  as far as can tell from a web search no one has posted a
//translator for this particular indicator.  I also do not know if it would work with other "CenTech"
//Global declarations
volatile long valout=0;  //valout is a 32 bit long integer that will contain the 24 bit data
volatile int n=0;  //n is a pointer for the 24 data bits in valout
word value=0;  //value will contain the binary value of the 12 bit data
char sign='+';  //the data sign
String unit="xxx";  //the units string
float unit_div=1;  //the scale factor for mm or in
int unit_plcs=1;  //the number of places to the right of the dp to display
float val_final=0;  //the final value to be displayed, as a floating point number which takes care of the dp position

//Initial settings and start interrupt
void setup()
  Serial.begin(9600);  //set com to 9600 baud
  pinMode(2,INPUT);  //Set the pins to input; actually this is the default
  attachInterrupt(0,clk,FALLING);  //Set the interrupt to read the data pin when the clock goes low

//Read the bits returned from the interrupt, convert and send the data out; loop continuously
void loop()
  while (n!=23);  //this is a critical step - loop while the pointer is not equal to 23
  //- the pointer increments during the interrupt to a total of 24 bits
  if (bitRead(valout,20)==HIGH)  //Read the sign bit (bit 20)
  if (bitRead(valout,23)==HIGH)  //Read the units bit (bit 23)
    unit = " in";
    unit_plcs = 4;
    unit_div = 2000;
    unit = " mm";
    unit_plcs = 2;
    unit_div = 100;
  for (int m=0; m<=11; m++)  //Read the first 12 bits of valout to get the actual value
  val_final=float(value)/unit_div;  //scale the data as determined by the units
  Serial.print(sign);  //print the sign
  Serial.print(val_final,unit_plcs);  //print the value
  Serial.println(unit);  //print the unit type
  n=0;  //reset the bit pointer

//The interrupt handler - on the falling edge of each clock pulse, read the corresponding data bit
void clk()  
  bitWrite(valout,n,!digitalRead(3));   //Read the data bit and write its inverse to the n bit in valout
  n=n+1;  //increment the pointer

David B.

The Harbor Freight documentation doesn't mention anything about a serial interface.  How are you connecting to the dial indicator?  Is there a socket?  Can you post pictures?  Thanks.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131