Serial Monitor - VT100 Support, Please!

Not sure if this has been posted as an actual request/suggest before but please can we have VT100 support in the Serial Monitor?

I generally run a separate terminal package but that means I have to remember to close the port before I can upload from the Arduino IDE. Then re-open it. Sounds simple but my god it's a pain after a while.

All I really need to be able to do is clear the screen or move the cursor to the beginning of a line so that continuously updating results can be put on one line instead of continual new lines causing the window to scroll crazily.

I heartily agree with this. it'd be nice to be able to have the "user interface" on the serial side have the option to look nice.

I'd rather see the IDE support an external program for "Serial Monitor"; there are a bazillion terminal emulator tools and it's not really worth making another one...

+1 on allowing an external terminal program for Serial Monitor. Before the IDE allowed sending CR / LF on line endings I always had to use a third-party terminal app. Adding the line ending options has helped a lot for quick testing but in general I have to use a more full-featured terminal for what I do.

All I really need to be able to do is clear the screen or move the cursor to the beginning of a line so that continuously updating results can be put on one line instead of continual new lines causing the window to scroll crazily.

I've missed this ever since I started using the Arduino IDE. A small effort here (even just proper CR/LF handling) would help a lot.

Integration with an external serial monitor may be the way to go, but tight integration is better than even a large feature set. That is I would not like to loose automatic close on build.

Java does not seem to make this very easy. Most of the provided text window classes seem to render from 1-d arrays of text, rather than 2-d arrays of characters. That gives you some useful features (like scrollback and easy cut&paste), but makes the whole "display terminal emulation" ... interesting.