Go Down

Topic: Will the Due be a dud? (Read 10806 times) previous topic - next topic

marioR

Dec 31, 2011, 11:19 pm Last Edit: Jan 01, 2012, 12:09 am by marioR Reason: 1
I think the Arduino Due is more of a psychological blow to competitors than anything.

Until a few years ago, the Arduino platform had always had the performance advantage. And now, having a Due (which could mean "Version 2" in Italian) that leap frogs the competition (2-3 x the performance of the DSPic stuff!!!), it silences those people who have criticized the Arduino platform for being lackluster and underwhelming.

You should read the anti-Arduino posts that are spreading across the web, like the ones posted at the end of this article: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/arm-arduino-coming

Like Leon Heller on Avr Freaks, I think the irrational feedback found on those sites is competitor propaganda that's making a serious effort at changing hearts and minds...IMHO

Yes, the performance of the Due is not needed since the Mega can address many of the applications that the Due will handle. However, having the Due with a powerful core will entice power users from defecting to competitor platforms, which is good business for Arduino, since user support from this experienced base has always also been an inherent advantage of the Arduino platform.

I must admit, I'm not much of an Arduino user, but I do occasionally wonder in these forums for insight. And although I sometimes get shocked and awed with the Arduino noobs and their fascination with the LED projects, at least it shows me that they're actually using the platform. Go to the Arduino competitor forums, and there just isn't that much going on.

cyclegadget

@Graynomad, can you share what method or chips you were going to use to make the board 5V+ tolerant?
Good links: Eagle tutorial= http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDE1858BD83D19C70
General Arduion tutorials = http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbtopic_id=123

retrolefty

Go to the Arduino competitor forums, and there just isn't that much going on.

That's what has kept me fat and happy in the arduino camp. I first had played with simple Pics (way to bad a results Vs effort ratio) and then Picaxe (great forum group, but 'strange' proprietary software) and finally stumbled onto arduino. Simple results only took simple effort and made my simple brain smile. Then the sheer number of members on the forum of all backgrounds, seemed to be able to solve near anyone's problems or errors and the forum membership shows little signs of peaking yet. Hardware is hardware, software is software, but people helping people in a friendly manner on this forum is responsible for a lot of the success that the Arduino platform has gained, at least in my opinion.

Lefty

Graynomad

can you share what method or chips you were going to use to make the board 5V+ tolerant?

There are many converter chips but I plan(ned) to use one of the TI versions, probably the TXB0108 and/or TXB0104.

The SAM can never be truly Arduino compatible though because the pins can't drive anywhere near 20+mA. For many things this doesn't matter but simple flashing LED progs will have trouble.

I still like the idea of using the SAM (or any ARM), the simple memory-mapped architecture would be a great thing to work with, but I guess most people couldn't care less about such things.

I also see the Arduino "backplane" as being a limitation on the system, I wonder if they will improve that. 

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

wiz

I also see the Arduino "backplane" as being a limitation on the system

This is a bugbear of mine. The Pro minis are a lot more convenient to use but unfortunately I have had several of them fail with faulty resonators in the past few years.

liudr

I think a part of what a faster processor can do will be done with an android phone. You can't leave your phone with a project but how many projects actually operate with the designer away? If you want a handheld device then you can just purchase a tablet for 200USD and hook up with an arduino. You need a lot of money on display and storage ect anyway for a handheld and will never get it good-looking enough like a tablet.

Graynomad

This is a bugbear of mine.

Anything in particular?

______
Rob

wiz

Anything in particular?

I make most of the pcb's I use myself and I find it a lot more convenient to have a processor board that plugs into my motherboard/shield whatever you want to call it.
As I mentioned above, I have had a few pro minis fail on the other side of the world and it has been easy for me to send a new one with instructions to someone to just pull the old module & insert the new one. Not quite so easy with a board buried underneath a heap of wires & other stuff.

Benji

Will it be a dud? I don't know.
The reason I think the replies to threads are not that high is because there is nothing to hold and look at yet.
Right now the UNO and the Mega are what people use, so that is what all talk is on.
As soon as the DUE is launched and people see tinkering going on with it, interest will come.

There has been an announcement and that is about it. How many threads have there been in the last months about ARM compatibility, people wondering if there is going to be a bigger/faster/high memory version of an Arduino?
Now there is one, people will come for it and play with it.

I have been working with uC's for about a year now, I don't see a direct application for it, except that it would be convenient for my robot (which is work in progress) to have more outputs, more speed and especially higher capacity for the programming, if I ever want it to do all the things I have in my head.
For LED projects it is not needed at all, the 328P works great for it, in many cases is overpowered. When people get deeper into tinkering, want to do real time audio or video processing, they will soon start complaining the DUE is too slow and we need an Arduino UBERMEGAPRO 2ghz ARM with a bazillion gigabytes of ram and quadrillion terabytes of space.
Wait and see it happen :)

howroyd

Hi all,

Any news on when the Due is likely to be out...and the bootloader for the arm.  I assume it's going to come out as a new update to the IDE when the Due gets released?

I cant wait to get one!  I think it's going to be better than the Raspberry Pi for my applications  :smiley-mr-green:

Simon

Graynomad

Jan 06, 2012, 02:07 pm Last Edit: Jan 06, 2012, 02:14 pm by Graynomad Reason: 1
As soon as the DUE is launched and people see tinkering going on with it, interest will come.

Probably true, although a lot of people seem to be struggling to find an application. Maybe we should be looking at what people are currently doing with other ARM boards for inspiration. You mentioned robotics, that would be an obvious choice I think.

the bootloader for the arm

ARMs have a built-in bootloader and I would assume Arduino will use that. As for when it will be released, only the Phantom knows.

______
Rob

Benji

Robotics would be a great application for the DUE as there is no such thing is overpowered in robotics  ]:D
But also, look at the things people do with the UNO and its predecessors, make videogames. Yes, that works with an UNO, but imagine what an ARM powered board can get you? Not pixel games, but more advanced graphics. Color even?
While I think of it, I can think of a million applications I would like to build with it, if it wasn't for time, money and knowledge.

Robotics,
Videogames,
Web enabled media player (streaming? operated through phone apps? you name it!)
Real time video processing as in security camera with facial recognition
Main node for an advanced domotica system

And the obvious: Have it run Linux!
Since they get Linux running on everything but a toaster, why not?
There's a lot of possibilities I can think of.
Are they all useful? Perhaps not, but is that a requirement? I see many projects online that are not really useful but fun or just cool because you made it yourself.

winner10920

I think the main thing that could be used is better graphics capabilities, the largest screen I can get is a 2.8 in tft, which at best does 3fps, the abilty to play a video or actually decent size screen would be awesome, and I never heard anyone complain about there processor going to fast, which could mean being less restrictive with large plots of code, cutting and making it more efficient to be fast enough
also I haven't seen much on the specs but would this have better quality analog digital converters or a higher pwm capability? Most people probably don't need it but it'd be nice to have,
when(if?) It comes out I can't wait to get one( assuming I can afford it)

kerimil

Raspberry PI does seem promising... now if I want to add wifi capability to my project I need at least 50-80$ to buy a wifi shield, but with raspberry I could use a wifi dongle that costs like 10$...

want to use bluetooth on arduino ? again you have to pay XX $ to buy a shield 

but wait there is more - need more computing power, basic video recognition etc. ? Wow wait a second, you can actually connect a USB camera to it, or a memory stick... all of those components are actually damn cheap unlike most of the shields

Want better graphics ? it has an HDMI & composite output and it has been shown to work pretty well (QUAKEIII :-D)

I love arduino but rapsberry PI just seems so much better on so many levels... probably it would be best to transfer the whole idea of easy to use IDE to Raspberry PI. Some ppl will probably first use raspberry toghether with arduino for stuff such as wifi etc. But soon it would become obvious that it makes more sense to use just raspberry PI

I am not trying to be negative but that's just what I think will happen sooner or later...
ohh and let's face it - they said it will cost 25/35$... that's not much more than the price of arduino UNO!
sure even if it turns out that the final price will be like 45-55$ that's still really cheap

ohh and before you start your rant that arduino is a microcontroller and rapsberry pi is overkill for most things... sure I know that but I know that it is cheaper to spend 35$ on Raspberry PI + 10$ on a wifi dongle than 80$ on a wifi shield

Graynomad

overkill for most things

I think that's the way things are going and I have no problem with that. For example using an 8-pin uC in place of a 555 timer, using a $2 32-bit LPC for a simple app that uses 10% of the chip's ability. Why not, it's all so cheap.

______
Rob

Go Up