Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Red power light  (Read 1239 times)
St Petersburg, FL
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I got my Arduino 2560 and was able to install the software and load the blink sketch to test and all worked as expected, except....

The power led is red instead of green and the led for pin 13 was red even before the first sketch was uploaded.  Shouldn't the power led be green?  And shouldn't the pin 13 led be out by default.

Even with the red power led, I was able to upload the blink scetch and make modificatios and get expected results. Just want to not screw something up because I dont recognize a problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:45:48 am by crchisholm » Logged

Charlie R Chisholm

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Did you get the Arduino Mega 2560 from Arduino or is it a cheap knock-off.  The genuine one will say Made in Italy on it.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

St Petersburg, FL
View Profile

The board says Arduino Mega on the front and has the Arduino logo and a small 2560 under the Mega
On the back there are some differences in the silk screening from the image on arduino.cc in that the colors are reversed (blue background and white lettering) and it says "Designed in italy" rather than "Made..." and has the same map of Italy in the same position.  I don't think I paid a discounted price (about $54 US through an amizon dealer)  If this is not the real thing then it would more accurately be called a "regularly priced forgery".

Do you you still have thoughts that it might not be real?

I have attached images of the board just for clerification.

* Arduino2560.jpg (99.74 KB, 898x1041 - viewed 64 times.)

Charlie R Chisholm

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

There are no multi color LEDs used on Arduino boards so the actual color is meaningless.  However, no sane designer would use "red" to indicate "good" power.  

That's clearly a knock-off.  Here's the 4 key signs:
1.  The board color is wrong (too dark.)
2.  Missing "Made In Italy."  (shocking the effort to remove this is taken)
3.  Your LEDs are red instead of green and orange.
4.  The font for the pin headers is wrong.

Seems like a rash of posts from people buying on Amazon the last week or so.  All with clones.

If this is not the real thing then it would more accurately be called a "regularly priced forgery".
That's exactly what it is.

Edit:  Clarified multi-color LED statement.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:07:10 pm by James C4S » Logged

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thats a pretty expensive fake.
I've heard the clone are decent but not for nearly full price.
There are no multi color LEDs so the actual color is meaningless.
There are multicolor LEDs but none on an Arduino.
1.  The board color is wrong (too dark.)
Camera and lighting can affect this

But yes, it is a clone. No "Made in Italy" is the key.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

St Petersburg, FL
View Profile

And I am sure there is no worthwhile recourse.  Well I guess I can only go as far as I can with this one and correct my error.

Thank you very much for educating me.

Charlie R Chisholm

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

And I am sure there is no worthwhile recourse.  Well I guess I can only go as far as I can with this one and correct my error.

Since the board says "Arduino" on it you can report them for trademark infringement.  Anyone can legally make an Arduino clone as long as they don't call it an Arduino.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

In general if the board works you shouldn't have any issues.  There is nothing proprietary or hidden about an Arduino, which is why the clones exist.

At the very least you should contact the seller (not Amazon, but the person selling through Amazon.)  They may not even be aware they are selling clones.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Ft. Worth, Texas
God Member
View Profile

font face is wrong, oscillator is upside down, wrong LED color, and no white oval to left of R3 (nor an R3 label)

very expensive and copywrite infringing clone.

KF5RVR

View Profile

Yep, looks like I got a knock off from Amazon as well. my board looks identical to yours, except in UNO flavor. Worked exactly alike, but I managed to fry the USB controller chip rendering near useless. I Have just found a work around however.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: