Go Down

Topic: 36V brushless 800W hub motor (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic

Stick10

hello,

I have this 36V brushless 800W bicycle hub motor. I am trying to use an arduino to control the "throttle" with a Potentiometer. I already have 3 x 12V batteries hooked in series.

What are my options in terms of what arduino I should get? I am not very experienced when it comes to these types of components but my goal is to try and avoid using a purchased controller. My main goal is to simply control the motor with this potentiometer.

The motor has hall sensors as well. If there is any other info I can give to assist let me know and any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

allanhurst

You'd be much better off with a purchased controller.  You may well be able to read the throttle easily with an arduino, but you then  have the ( much bigger ) problem of driving the 3-phase motor .

regards

Allan

jremington

I second the above. There is really no way around buying the appropriate motor controller.

MarkT

If you are experienced in power electronics and DC motor controller design then a
motor controller for a BLDC would make an interesting project, if not its still an
interesting project with a lot of learning and (expensive) mistakes along the way.

Get the cheap chinese eBike motor controller for that motor and interface to its
throttle control.

Is this for a bike or something else (if so are you looking for bidirectional control?)
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Stick10

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I am a little over my head when it comes to this little project I would like to do.

How about this, let's say I buy a controller for this motor that comes wired with a throttle connection. Is there a diy on making that throttle switch? Instead of just buying one? Just trying to avoid the buy and install method. 

This is for a bicycle, it is a front hub motor. So no I am not looking to get this to reverse.

Mark, maybe if you can elaborate a little on how I can interface a throttle to the controller. That seems a little more reasonable.

allanhurst

electric bikes normally use a linear hall effect sensor for the throttle. A purchased controller will have a suitable 3-wire interface. Building your own throttle is a significant mechanical project - it's not a switch.

Buy one.

regards

Allan

MorganS

The throttle input is usually a 0-5V analog voltage. You can do this with a potentiometer but a proper hall-effect device will be more reliable over the long term (more than 6 months.) Hall effect throttles are not expensive. You can also use an Arduino to provide this analog input.
GoForSmoke: "What GShield? You never mentioned a shield."

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy